current monitor

An elegant idea, Paul. But the 20kHz bandwidth is lacking. A current transformer does better than that and is also isolated.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I think whether 20 kHz is limiting depends on your application. Transformers tend to be rather large compared to a TO-92.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Thanks, John, I missed seeing that. I like the serious look of the package, but I'm puzzled why they don't offer one with leads prebent for SMT. The 50A lowest FS range is an issue, with a 100mA DC offset. But I guess many apps can figure out their own specific offset.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Also transformers require a break in the track on the PCB.

Here's one good to 40 kHz:

And another but only 10 kHz:

These are probably the same sort of device as used in the transformer type:

However that unit has 3 uSec typical response.

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

You can get a +/- 40A part in SMD SOIC8. It has 80kHz bandwidth

ACS723:

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Normally you would do a offset nulling of the current sensor during power-up or regulary, since it has an offset voltage for 0A anyway

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
klaus.kragelund