Current limiting with an visual indicator of overload

Hello,

I'm currently planning the conversion of an AT computer power supply that I have lying around into a base supply for my hobbyist electronics projects . I know that there is a reason a lab supply costs that much, but for the use I'm planning, a computer supply will be enough. However, I would like to protect it against overload as I have no idea if the supply in itself is fitted with such circuit. I know I can use a fuse, or a PPTC but this type of circuit does not give me any indication that it is about to shutdown the power. I have in mind an old model train transformer that had a red light that progressively lights up as one approaches overload up until it is fully on and the supply to the system is shutdown I would thus like to reproduce this kind of behavior but I must admit that I'm a bit lost as to what starting point I could use. What resources would you recommend? Are there any base circuits that I can modify easily to add an indicator light?

Thanks for your help OBones

Reply to
OBones

As far as I am aware AT PSU don't have any SC protection but ATX PSU do !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

"OBones"

** The supply has a lamp ( ie a 12 volt, 21 watt car brake lamp ) in series with the output.
** Why not start with a lamp or two ? 6 volt for the 5 volt rail and 12 volt for them.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Wouldn't the voltage drop modify the output voltage even for low currents? I mean, the point is indeed to lower the voltage when there is a lot of current going through, even to the point that there is not enough voltage anymore for the circuit, but what about normal operating conditions?

Reply to
OBones

Try this:

This even gives you an output current. You may have to amplify it depending on the light indicator you choose.

Regards

-- Bill Naylor

Electronic Kits for Education and Fun

Reply to
Electronworks.co.uk

** Nope.

Lamps have a low resitance at low current levels - about 12 times less than at rated current.

How do you think that lamps in series with model railway boxes work ??

BTW:

You are ***way*** over snipping.

Makes you look like a context shifter.

IE, the lowest scum on usenet.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

that

Why not use a 7812 and 7805 to protect the supply against short- circuits ?

Reply to
Jean-Christophe

The light (in series with the supply) is the current limiter, in the system you describe. They work quite well, though of course they do not have a hard response (ie, if you are limiting to 5 amps at 5 volts, you're not going to have 4.9 amps at 5 volts - in particular, you won't have 5 volts out the far side of the lightbulb at 4.9 amps.) But for typical bench supply use, this is not usually a problem. In fact you can set up a lamp board where you switch in or out various bulbs based on what you expect the load to be (and thus where you want to limit the load to). Old fashioned but still works perfectly well.

Various versions of far more complex "modern" circuits could achieve a similar function with a harder response.

An ammeter (fairly inexpensive ones are not too hard to find) and a fuse or circuit breaker work perfectly well, too, without much complexity.

Ecnerwal

You need some headroom (Vin > Vout) with those chips. The 7812 won't work with +12 Vin. You could use the

7805 with Vin of 12 volts, but you make extra heat in the chip with a 7 volt Vin-Vout difference.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr
Reply to
Brendan Gillatt

they typically are, they'll shut down and need to be power-cycled if you short the +5 or +12

use an automotive headlamp in series with the 12V

for the +5V you'll probably want a lower voltage lamp.

you could use nichrome wire instead of lamps, it lights up with high current too!

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

Reply to
OBones

Thanks, it looks interesting, and the application notes around it provide a good starting point

Reply to
OBones