Curious about ferris-wheel lighting control

Anyone have experience what kind of parts are used in amusement-park lighting?

I see ferris wheels with animated lighting sequences that look like every single one of thousands of incandescent bulbs is individually switchable to create swirls and pinwheels of visual effects.

Do they really use a $5 SSR per bulb?

Reply to
pklammer

No, relays.

Reply to
Donald

If you look carefully (I suggest making a video and freezeframing it) you will discover that the lights are in groups that always go on and off together. It's hard for the eye to catch this if there are more than 20 or 30 channels.

They are far more likely to use mechanical relays (in sockets so that they can be replaced if they go bad).

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

I would have thought they'd use triacs for cost/maintenance reasons.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Its a simple matter of cost.

Relays are cheaper, and cheaper to wire up.

Reply to
Donald