CPU with cooling vines (light+water examined as well)

Hello,

A few days ago I had this idea how to cool CPUs better. It's basically based on the brain, I saw something on TV mentioning the power of the brain... somehow the brain most cool itself ?!

The human brain probably uses vines to cool the brain down. I can notice my brain heating up when I play many hours Civilization 3 Conquest. It's the only game that makes my brain run hot like a processor. It's probably caused by the huge ammount of decisions that need to be made every turn, every second. The huge ammount of tiles and units play a roll in this.

Compared to the human brain the CPU is probably pre-historik ? Does a haswell processor from intel have any special vines for heat dissipation ? Or does it entirely rely on the material to spread the heat around ?

Perhaps it's time to design a CPU which works a little bit more like the human brain. Special vines are created which run throughout the CPU.

Perhaps vertical only at first, perhaps later horizontal as well... however this would create cross section or perhaps over each other in 3D space... intersections might cause trouble.

Perhaps it needs to be a single tube like a water slide... so that all water goes into one direction. This is probably not how the brain works. So further research how to cool down a chip in a brain like way might beed to be further investigated and tried out to see what works and what not ;)

Other ideas could be to use air instead of water... perhaps tiny little heatfins/corridors instead the cpu which use vaporization...

But perhaps it's best to stick with the brain's way... I am not sure how the brain does it... maybe it uses little air bubbles inside the blood as well... for vaporization or other methods ;)

The human skin is probably resposible for dissipating the heat to the outside air/outside the body.

(Perhaps later memory chips can have this as well and other electronics)

Now the question is does it make sense to add vines to computer chips ?

What would be the consequences and benefits ?

What if individual transisters could be cooled ?

Perhaps by making room for vines... say vertical and horizontal... this would reduce the space for transister by 4x. So instead of a 4.0 ghz core there would be a 1.0 ghz core.

However... perhaps the cooling would work 10x better than the current situation... thus perhaps the clock can be increased back to 5.0 ghz or so... clock increases do seem to cause exponential heat increase... so maybe it's a bad idea... maybe 5x is way too optimistic. I dont know about that... I could be wrong though... maybe it could then run at 10.0 ghz.

Also if the vines lead to faster heat dissipiation that could also be an adventage. The heat transfer might happen faster thanks to moving water within the vines... instead of having to wait until the heat moves through the material.

Mixing electricity and water is a bad idea.

I do wonder if chips on light will be more reliable than electrical chips... but this is a topic but itself.

But I'll ask that question too:

Will chips working on light be cooler or hotter than electrical chips ?

I do believe electricity is unpredictable like lightning strikes... it wants to crawl everywhere... while light is more predictable... perhaps less leakage... so I do believe chips/electronics on light will be more reliable and will make seem electronics as prehistoric and crazy/insane technology ;)

However the sun gets real hot... so light itself can also be very hot... so I am not yet sure ;)

If light is reflected by mirrors and such... I don't think the mirrors get too hot... but I could be wrong ;)

Perhaps a chip that works on light + water cooling is a good idea ! ;)

Perhaps the light signals could even travel through the water vines itself... that way the water vines have a dual function: signal transmission

  • heat dissipation.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Shave your head and your game scores will go way up.

Trust me!

 Click to see the full signature

IME, vines, or the fermented fruit thereof, have the opposite effect ;-)

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)

Explore Fractal Geometry?

Reply to
Chris M. Thomasson

Hello back.

sed

TV will rot your brain. Read this:

"Humanity has evolved a unique auxiliary cooling system that employs the skin as a radiator and blood as coolant to help deal with the overheating p roblems that accompany complex brains. Human skulls are perforated with tho usands of openings for emissary veins. These emissary veins are unusual in that they allow bidirectional blood flow. The number of these veins has gro wn as brain size has grown, increasing the capacity of the brain's auxiliar y liquid cooling system as the amount of waste heat being generated increas ed.

Under normal conditions, blood drains out of the brain through the emissary veins. When the brain experiences heat distress, blood flow in the emissar y veins reverses, drawing blood cooled by the skin "radiator" into the over heated brain to absorb the excess heat. The effectiveness of our skin pre-c ooler is further enhanced by the evaporation of sweat from its outer surfac e."

Not "vines" but "veins".

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752