corn

"Housewives who boil corn should be boiled."

Nero Wolfe was a real misogynist, but he was right about that.

So get some white corn, as fresh as possible, in the husks. Snip the tassels off the pointy end. Strip off very loose husks but leave the rest. Rinse, pointy end up.

Bake at 400F for 40 minutes. Then fold back the husks and snip to form handles on the big end. Remove silk and rub with butter. Add salt and pepper. That's it.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Wrap in foil (still in hisk) and grill over coals (BBQ). Very different/"nutty" taste. You may end up with some "burnt" kernels but nothing that will affect the taste badly.

86 the pepper.
Reply to
Don Y

Barf. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Mmmm. Hot buttered corn silk!

Reply to
mixed nuts

Sounds yummy, but... 40 minutes? It's 4 minutes in the microwave, a minute to cool so you can rip off the husk and silk without burning your hand.

Alas, seems like it's out of season hereabouts. None at the store!

Reply to
whit3rd

I still boil... three minutes in boiling water, butter, S&P. I tend to think of both lobster and corn as butter delivery systems. Corn season is just about over around here.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Here (Taiwan) they steam it, as many other stuff as well. Keeps the taste inside. Just two weeks ago we had some in the company because our production guy manages a small garden on the company ground. So it was absolutely fresh.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

We have a corn cooker, a vertical cylinder-shaped pot, fill with water, bring to a boil, REMOVE from heat, stand up corn ears in the water, let stand 10 minutes... perfect corn... slather with butter ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Real men do that over wood fire. I can't even remember when I bought charcoal the last time and I am the cook every Saturday and Sunday. Never in the kitchen, always outdoors. Rain, shine, hail, sleet, doesn't matter.

The only cooking activity I do in the kitchen (so far at least) is boiling the wort during beer brewing.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hey, I'm a Real Man.

Well, you live in square miles of great outdoors. We live on a tiny lot in one of the densest cities in the world. We do corn in the toaster oven and bbq on a little pushbutton gas thing.

It hit 93F here on Sunday, not encouraging to make a big wood fire. It gets hot a few days a year here; it's better now.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Real men understand that there are far more important things to do, in life, (in the 21st century) than foraging for wood to build a fire in a backyard fire pit to roast a few ears of corn.

Congratulations on your (obvious) COPIOUS free time! Wish that more of us had such portfolios and low goals to hit! :>

(Do you use a telegraph and snail mail, as well? Have you fed the horses??)

Reply to
Don Y

The way to prepare corn, Azores way: Put the corn into a sack and toss it into a hot spring.

--

-TV
Reply to

Why not dental floss?

Reply to
krw

No salt. Pepper optional.

Reply to
krw

That's where all the vitamins are.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I like to cook outdoors also... when it's not too hot or too cold...

But I use propane on a stainless grill with flame stoppers >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I'm with you whit, However, I cut the top end so a bit of the cob shows, I have faucet that has a 1" pvc pipe outlet, I plug the cut end up to that pipe turn on the water and fill it. Then toss it in the microwave for 4 minutes. It get steamed in the husk. Some water will leak out, let it before you put it in the microwave. Yep, butter, salt and pepper.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Hmm, well, different strokes for different folks. I totally enjoy going back into the woods, gathering some wood, starting a fire and grilling some sausage (or other meat product) whilst I sip on a beer, read a book, and watch the world go by. (I might doodle a design idea too.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I know. Else you wouldn't be seen at Zeitgeist :-)

Probably I'll never warm up to any propane-driven grill oder barbecue in my life. Charcoal is the most decadent I'll do and only if I have to.

I am doing wood fire cooking even when it's well over 100F. Or 30F. Doesn't matter but at >100F one has to be super careful that no sparks fly.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to