Cooling of overloaded transformer

und:

,

Chopping the waveform = immediate death to RC dropper supplies

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

the mechanism's powered from a tap on one of the elements, get the element voltage right and it's solved

Jasen Betts

That would be a mod for 160V operation, not 230 and could leave the electromagnet under-powered. V^2/R and all that.

Jasen Betts

but if it works, and doesn't self-combust your toast's done in half the time.

Jasen Betts

Very good point. E^2/R = 230^2 / 14 = 3,778.5 Watts. At 50% duty cycle,

3,778.5 / 2 = 1,889.2 Watts.

A 40A 220V optoisolated zero cross SSR is $3.83 on ebay : 172531429031

Here's the datasheet:

h.pdf

Set it for 25% duty cycle and fix the toaster DC supply to handle 230V. This will make a nice 12.5Hz pulsation in the source transformer, but it should be far enough away to not bother anyone.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Well, not a big problem, just wanted to see if I could use an existing one

The Kithen Aid toaster is a 55 USD part, and I am not powering one device, but 5 different devices, all though not at the same time

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I was wrong about the resistance

Apparently, a the toaster design underwent some design effort to find a material that could hand the many cycles of heating and cooling:

Only 6% increase in resistance from cold to hot

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

in

,

orite hair

ome

pe) as to be

more

be real

ok

in

56 USD:

GVAKpB9lpsPjw

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

in Europe

namely a

her favorite hair

me

e) as to be

In Denmark, Kitchen Aid is considered top notch

I have had to repair an older mixer before, with a worn worm drive gear. Th e toaster we had died, and I could not repair it. (was an intermittent prob lem, so difficult to locate).

Festool products are the best, good German design

Some are the same price, the plunge saws are almost the same price, probabl y due it's popularity

The accessories are a half price, likewise with the cordless drills. The bi g miter saw is something like 30% off.

The local Woodcraft store does not have the best price, so need to order on line before going over there, so it has been delivered at the hotel

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Could maybe work. Unless is has a capacitive dropper supply that doesn't like the chopped up voltage. Maybe I should take it apart to have a look see Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

The capacitive dropper would probably get messed up with the chopped AC. Certainly the capacitor would have to be replaced with a higher voltage rating. But maybe a larger output filter capacitor could help. Worst case, you might add a small 220v transformer to drop the voltage.

Your wife would not like the wires running all over.

Get a $19 220v toaster from ebay and paint KitchenAid on the side:)

Reply to
Steve Wilson

She won't have anything but Kitchen Aid

Just bought this one:

2kW, so it is plenty overrated. I just need to add a switch in front, so it is not on all the time, magnetizing current will be burning some unnecessary watts

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Doesn't it already have a power switch?

It's from the UK, so shipping shouldn't be too bad.

Nice solution for a difficult problem. You can probably run all the appliances from the same transformer and keep the clutter down.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Yes, but I will have it hidden in a cabinet behind another device, so no easy access. Will place an outlet close by to turn it on/off

Yes, should be enough to power all the device at the same time :-)

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

On Apr 2, 2018, Klaus Kragelund wrote (in article):

At that price, must be Chinese. Should work OK, but I?d verify that the transformer does not overheat - the Chinese can be wildly optimistic about such things as power ratings. That?s why I was looking at 3 Kw claimed.

Joe

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

bzzzt wrong

I'll let someone else explain why.

mark

Reply to
makolber

Huh, well except for screwing up the power factor on the AC line, what's wrong with it?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

P = V^2/R

I must have been low on coffee

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yeah I realized afterwards too. (just to lazy to post my mistake :^)

GH

Reply to
George Herold

Keep your eye out for a junk tombstone welder and rewind the secondary. I have a transformer core that I've been saving for a project, I don't know what that project is yet! I also have a welder that someone threw in the trash after a fire on their boat, smoke damage not heat damage. I guess insurance bought them a new one. Heavy SOB's!

Reply to
amdx