Convert stereo amp into mono amp?

Is it possible to convert a 10 watt stereo amp into a 20 watt mono amp by feeding the output of the "right" channel into the input of the "left" channel? Will the output of the "left" channel now support 20 watts?

THanks.

Reply to
rnbraud

Kal, Thanks for the reply. I forgot the input is "line-level".

I will investigate possibly bridging the two channels.

Thanks.

Reply to
rnbraud

and use two speakers.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

--
No. Leave the outputs alone. Connect the two inputs together and drive
them from a mono source.

No. It will overload the left input.

No. It can only output 10W no matter what you put in.

You are welcome. You might be able to get more out of the 10WPC amp by bridging the two channels but that is not as simple as your idea.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

You might blow the amp with this idea. Your speaker must have double the specified minimum impedance, so if the amp is for 4 ohm speakers, in bridged mode it can deliver double the power only to 8 ohm speakers. If you connect a 4 ohm speaker to it, it will get in current limit situation and the output power will also not be bigger than with a single channel. If you overload the amp this way, it might get hot and this will reduce MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure).

You can get a stereo line transformer from radio shag. operate both inputs in parallel and just inverse the second output. Then you do not need to fiddle with an additional power supply and some electronic inverter, because the output of the amp is usually in phase with the input and you cannot use it to derive an inverted signal. The loudspeaker is then connected to the two red terminals.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

try brigeing it

Reply to
sideshow bob

Fully agreed but that's what I meant when I wrote that it wasn't as simple as what the OP first suggested.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson