Connector-- vocabulary breakdown.

They are called 'hard to find'.

--
Luhan Monat (luhanis 'at' yahoo 'dot' com)
"The future is not what it used to be..."
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
Reply to
Luhan Monat

Martin and Rich are right on what you call them. The ones I've seen were manufactured by Johnson Components and Keystone. Should be available from Digikey and Mouser.

Reply to
James T. White

My friend in High School used to build entrire projects with those!

--
Luhan Monat (luhanis 'at' yahoo 'dot' com)
"The future is not what it used to be..."
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
Reply to
Luhan Monat

Fahnestock

The ubiquitous "no tool" speaker connectors (and the no-tool terminal blocks) are more impressive, but they had to wait for plastic injection molding to be invented.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

No clue what they are or why I'd want a bushel, but they appear to be useful in arming bombs.

"NOTE: Safety clips are used vice Fahnstock clips unless otherwise specified. Normally, arming wire assemblies are shipped in spiral-wound fiber tubes, over packed in a wooden box. Generally, the safety Fahnstock clips are packed in the tubes with the arming wires. The most commonly used arming wire assemblies are listed in table below. Arming wire installation procedures are discussed in the TRAMAN where the use of arming wire assemblies is required."

If you really want to buy 'em (whatever 'em is)...

Ah! That's what they are! Didn't know what they were called, but no I wouldn't have a use for one, much less a bushel.

$26 for 200 clips.

They don't seem to be rare at all: but...

  Keith
Reply to
keith

I like the way RCA did the speaker terminals on my boom box. They look like the 2nd set of spkr terms on that Mouser page, but no solder terminals.

The PCB slides into a notched out or cut out looking version of the terminal so it's up against the spring clamp, which IIRC is a metal contact, but it could just as well be an insulator.

The wire goes thru the hole and lays on a PCB pad. When you release the lever, it clamps the wire down to the PCB.

Smart and cheap, but a slight PITA to slide it all together. Sometimes the ME that goes into an electronic product/part is as impressive as the circuit/part itself.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

I'm having a little vocabulary breakdown. What are the connectors called that you can plug the skinny part of a multimeter probe into, and where is a good place to get them?

-- "Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -- massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it. " -- Gene Spafford, 1992

Reply to
Gregory L. Hansen

I saw something as a kid that used those and I think it was one of my train sets. Maybe the track power connection.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Pin Jacks?

ah, I give up.

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Hah! You think those are bad? Try walking into your local supplier someday & asking for a bushel of Fahnstock clips-

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

By Golly! I thought they had gone the way of the #6 Dry cell-

And a nice price break on the bushel load too :).

Do they have Pine board chassis kits too???

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

They're called "phone jacks", because, historically, headphones used a pair of tips that size. Nowdays of course we use a 1/4" TRS jack for that purpose, but the name stuck.

How many do you need? I have a few.

Norm Strong

Reply to
<normanstrong

We don't tell those kind around here.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics   3860 West First Street  Box 809  Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email: don@tinaja.com

Don Lancaster

If you ask for Fahnestock clips, you'll get better results.

Found on the way to something else:

An Antique QSL Card from Harris Fahnestock

also:

with more information and another card.

Fahnestock clips are still available in many places, although they're more expensive than they used to be. For production testing of subassemblies with flying leads, they can still be the first choice. Cheap, easy to use, easily replaceable, good current rating, and just about impossible for a test operator to hurt themselves. The wire hole's too small to be a pinch point.

Thanks for the detour. Chris

Reply to
Chris

-- Luhan Monat (luhanis 'at' yahoo 'dot' com) "The future is not what it used to be..."

Luhan Monat

Cool. I'd wondered what happened to them, but I never knew what they were called, either.

--
"Things should be made as simple as possible -- but no simpler."
  -- Albert Einstein

The OP could be describing what we call "tip jacks" with a "hole" about 1 mm in diameter.

Or alternatively "banana jacks" with the "hole' of about 3 mm.

no_one

Tip jacks are the ones I had in mind.

But I'd been wondering why the other end of the probes aren't simple banana. They're long and have a shroud, I'm not sure I can get a banana in there.

--
"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal.  The rest is
poetry, imagination." -- Max Planck

to keep you from getting electrocuted if you connect the one end to the circuit and forget to put the other end into the meter.

Reply to
no_one

Yep. I believe the part inside the shroud is still a banana plug. You can still plug an unsheathed banana plug into the jack compatible with these.

definition: recursion; see recursion.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.