Connector mystery

Picked up a bunch of AMP / TE Connectivity 12 pin headers, part number

102692-1

Photo at

and data at

For some reason, they call this a TWO PIECE HEADER. Yet I only have one piece and that is the way they are shipped in original factory packaging. And this is what the data sheet shows.

They claim that two piece connectors are more reliable, and the connector seems to have a "side porch".

What is the second piece, and where and how is it used for what?

Is the slot for an upstanding mezzanine circuit board?

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

If by "upstanding" you mean normal to the PCB on which *your* connector is mounted -- yes. Think of some of the voltage regulator modules you encounter/ed in PC's...

Imagine a right-angle female headed soldered onto the edge of the board that mates to this. The board slides into the "slot" so that the right angle header "sockets" align with the pins in your header. The "back side" of *your* "slot" supports the underside of the mating board.

Reply to
Don Y

The slot doesn't do much direct supporting of a normal 1.5mm-ish thick board- it's more than double that. It can accomodate a 1/8" thick board if that's what you need.

Looks like it's mostly a guide, helping with the support provided by the notches at the ends of the mating part mating with the pointed posts in DL's eBay offerings. Either way you crank the board, it puts the solder joints in tension, I think.

Connetors are such a can of worms- I had to find some old 1950s gold-plated rack panel connectors (at an impressively outrageous price) because some dufus designed them into an instrumentation interconnect. Sigh.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hi Spehro,

(I'd wish you a happy Tday but d> >>> Is the slot for an upstanding mezzanine circuit board?

The slot is wider that the board because the mating "sockets" don't sit *in* the same plane as the mating PCB! :>

Look at the dimensioned drawing for the part. Without even chasing down a likely mate, its safe to assume that there is as much "shell" "below" (wrt the dimensioned drawing) the bottom row of pins as "above" the top row of pins. I.e., 0.085 below the bottom row, 0.100 between rows and *assume* another 0.085 above the "top" row -- brings you to the "surface" of the PCB that mates to this (assuming the right angle female header mounts flush with that PCB surface).

0.085+0.100+0.085 = 0.270. I.e., 0.029 *above* the "bottom" of the slot -- and 0.098 below the "top" of the slot.

If the mating female doesn't *hug* the board that it's mounted on, some of that gets eaten up (0.015 on each side of the mating board for "wiggle room"?)

I.e., like a voltage regulator module.

You can make a *career* out of picking connectors! :<

I've been searching for a certain "ZIF" connector with equally bad (expensive) results.

(in my case, *no* "second step" mechanical latch to engage... imagine a ZIP socket on a PROM programmer where you drop the UUT in -- AND DO NOTHING MORE!)

Reply to
Don Y

Many thanks.

I found a bunch of the other connector halves (less part numbers) in our infinite supply of unprocessed eBay stuff that sorely needs triage.

Many thanks,

Don Lancaster