Connect 120 volt circuits to get 240 volts

Looking at the specifications and not just listening to the video:

The input is 230/400 V at 3 x 32 A, giving about 25 kW. After PFC, the voltage is 700 - 750 Vdc.

This was incorrect speculations since PFC uses only two big inductances. Thus some other PFC method is used.

The DC/DC converter uses multiphase DC/DC conversion and in this case, there happens to be three phase shifted high frequency square waves, which apparently has nothing to do with mains three phases.

Anyway, it is strange that for three phase systems three separate transformers are used, since a single three phase transformer would save some iron, since some of the flux is canceled out in the core.

Reply to
upsidedown

I guess they are combining the booster and isolation in the final DC stage. I would rather use a 3 phase input isolation transformer at the initial stage. I only need to drop and regulate the DC from 600V/700V to 400V. Don't need to isolate the DC stage.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Do you really mean 25 kVA 50/60 Hz isolation transformer ? Do you realize how big that would be ?

Compare the size to the switching isolation transformers used.

Reply to
upsidedown

Yes, but I don't have to carry it around, or even drive it around. A few hundred pounds are no problem for a stationary charger.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Making such charging station should be straight forward. Distribution transformers over here are in the order of 200-300 kVA. Make a distribution transformer with multiple secondary windings, each of a few hundred volts. Feed the zigzag windings to a 12 or 18 pulse rectifier to avoid the need for PFC.

Such 300 kW power requires just 8 A from a 20 kV medium voltage line. Just make a branch line from the charging station to an existing 20 kV network.

Such 300 kW station could alternatively fast charge a dozen 25 kW cars (such as discussed elsewhere in this thread) simultaneously.

Of course such power levels may cause MV line loading problems in countries using 4 or 7 kV medium voltage lines.

Reply to
upsidedown

Too bad no one drives 25 kWh cars. Well, I guess someone does, but not many. The cars being sold in quantity today have mostly 100 kWh batteries.

Not a problem if they are being charged at night under control of the grid to prevent overloading.

Rick C.

- Get 6 months of free supercharging - Tesla referral code -

gnuarm.deletethisbit

I said 25 kW not 25 kWh.

According to

the acceptance rate for most cars is below 10 kW, a few Teslas nearly

20 kW.

According to the table only two Tesla models are 100 kWh.

Are all buying only these two models ?

Reply to
upsidedown

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 1:06:08 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrot e:

der.com:

arged

e.

ound

gly

ery,

y a

Huh??? Most Teslas charge at up to 120 kW. It's a bit more complex than t hat since the max charge rate varies with state of charge, but is way above 20 kW other than in extreme conditions.

I think you are looking at some very old data or confusing DC charging with level 2 charging.

Maybe the document says most cars are charged at 20 kW or below. The faste st home charging on any Tesla is 20 kW. That's a function of what is pract ical at home with level 2 and not the same as the fast DC charging (level 3 ).

Tesla fast chargers, Superchargers, will charge a car at up to 120 kW. Oth er fast chargers typically are around 50 kW. Some new fast chargers will d o up to 300 kW, there are only a handful of them in the world at this point and I don't think any cars will charge that fast yet.

At 25 kW it would take around 4-5 hours to fully charge a 100 kWh battery. The last bit goes a lot slower than the rest.

ty today have mostly 100 kWh batteries.

Not sure what you are looking at. The models S, X and 3 all have 100 kWh b attery options and even then have several performance options with that.

Most Teslas sold today (meaning more than half) have the 100 kWh battery. It was only in Q4 (if I recall correctly) Tesla came out with another batte ry option in the model 3 which sells 2.5 times as many as the S and X toget her.

id to prevent overloading.

Rick C.

  • Get 6 months of free supercharging + Tesla referral code -
gnuarm.deletethisbit

That's what I am searching for: 18 pulses phase shifting inductor. Found one around 19"x17"x15" 230 pounds. But it's not isolated. An isolation transformer is probably around the same size and weight. Seems to be possible to combine them in a single unit, with custom windings.

PFC should be around 95%, and fine tunning with SiC switches to each of the nine phases. The duty cycle can also regulate the DC output.

So, just one big transformer, 18 diodes, 9 MOSFET and FPGA.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

120kW at home with 200A service ?
Reply to
boB

rote:

nunder.com:

te:

uch

ging

charged

ette.

have

e round

rongly

.

at

al.

attery,

only a

on

e.

kV

ars

n that since the max charge rate varies with state of charge, but is way ab ove 20 kW other than in extreme conditions.

Context. "fast charge"

No one considers L2 to be fast charging. I guess you didn't read far enoug h to see just what I wrote.

Rick C.

-- Get 6 months of free supercharging -- Tesla referral code -

ith level 2 charging.