Composite to component video adapters

My TV cable box only has composite audio & video output (Red, White audio & Yellow video) but the digital TV to which I want to connect it to (after the old analog TV) has only component (Pr, Pb, Y) video input (besides the L & R audio) and HDMI.

Since I don't subscribe to any HD TV channels, analog is all I need from the cable box but I don't know of any reasonably priced composite-to-component video adapter source. I would appreciate any tips in that regard.

Reply to
cameo

All the TVs I've seen have had SCART inputs, if only for legacy video sources. Are you sure yours hasn't?

Is it really a monitor? What model is it?

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

A new cable box is probably cheaper and will give much better results.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Best: contact the cable company (and ask about another box)

Quick and dirty: connect composite to Y input (at least, you'll get monochrome video) then look at the cable box's menus to see if there's a switch to accept (NTSC? PAL?) composite video on that port.

Reply to
whit3rd

video)

Don't you mean the TV's menu? But yes that is a good idea.

Some sets will recognise an input signal with composite colour bursts on the G or Y input and act accordingly or need telling to do it.

European SCART connectors though ugly are so much easier.

Everything is HDMI now though - SCART is only for legacy kit.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Sorry, but I have no idea what SCART is.

Actually, it is indeed a monitor with built-in HDTV tuner. Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD. Besides the HDMI and component inputs it also has a DVI-D and a PC input jack.

Reply to
cameo

I'm not sure I qualify for a free HD cable box without subscribing to an HD package. Right now I can receive the local TV channels in both analog and HD res without the cable box. The box is needed only for the non-local channels in my cable package that are encrypted SD.

Reply to
cameo

According to:

the Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD has a SCART input.

For details of SCART:

You can get cheap SCART to composite audio & video output (Red, White audio & Yellow video) adapters. In the UK there are places where I can get one for £1.00.

However the 2333HD manual/spec mentions lots about EXT(RGB) using SCART which makes me wonder if it has the full SCART capability of coping with composite video.

As other posters have suggested a new cable box with HDMI output would be simplest. The box doesn't have to be HD enabled.

Any other exotic converter isn't going to be cheap.

Hope that helps.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

SCART has a lot of options, and different implementations of it have different sets of outputs. Many cheaper SCART outputs seem to be pinned out for only composite, or S-Video (or the equivalent), plus audio. RGB or YCrCb is less common, I think (and I can't recall if SCART supports both of these).

On Amazon and eBay, "Composite to component" and "Composite to HDMI" converters seem to start at $50-$75 and go up from there. The cheaper ones have a reputation for running hot, and at least one of the HDMI-output converters was noted by several users to be unable to deliver 4:3 display on the screen - it was always stretched horizontally to 16:9 widescreen.

Higher-priced converters ($150-$200) may be more robust, better built, and/or have more flexibility or quality in their image conversion. The better ones seem to have dynamic motion compensation, better upscaling, better color conversion, and so forth.

Dave Platt

Interesting, because the back of my 2333HD does not contain that SCART input. Here is the link to the manual of my TV/monitor:

Perhaps what you showed is for the EU variant of the same model and mine is for the North American.

I'm afraid this does not apply to my set.

Indeed. My cable service provider would charge $10/month + some initial setup fee. It's not worth that much for me.

Thanks. I always learn something on this NG. A lot of smart engineers and hobbyists hang out here.

Reply to
cameo

I've been considering the ebay option but so much of the electronic stuff there is cheap stuff from China, I am hesitating to try one.

Yes, but that's a bit pricey for me.

Reply to
cameo

Sorry, but for some reason that link changed to this one:

I wonder why.

Reply to
cameo

On a sunny day (Fri, 26 Oct 2012 20:22:35 -0700) it happened cameo wrote in :

As this si a design group, its easy to make a NTSC to composite converter yourself. There is a chip that does it all to RGB, add some passive matrix to get YUV. At least you need no chroma delay line as in PAL, you will need Y delay line. I am sure there are kits, and I think I *have* seen diagrams on the web. If you are interested I can look up the Philips chip I have in the attick that does just that.

But di you google? took me

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I don't find any ref about that in the User Manual or on the TV's menu system.

Reply to
cameo

It is worth a try feeding composite Y into the Y channel on the TV set and see what happens. You may just be lucky!

The worst I can imagine happening is a monochrome picture with some slight noise from the open circuit chroma inputs. If you are lucky the chipset will recognise a composite video input and act accordingly.

My own set is Panasonic and European with SCART as well as RGB component analogue inputs. It accepts composite video on green.

In not then unless you are into DIY electronics you are probably going to have to buy a converter then and good ones are not cheap. Dunno if this one is any good or not I have no need of one:

ISTR cheap ones run hot and die young.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

The TV here is _really_ a computer running BSD unix, outwardly it's a Panasonic branded TV with several viedo inputs and a tv tuner, but no SCART, SCART seems to be mainly a european thing.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

try just connecting composite to the Y input, at worst you'll get a black-and-white picture, otoh you may find a menu setting to enable color.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I thought it was against the law to use SCART in the USA because you could use it to make a high quality second generation video copy.

It is rather odd for any TV with an analogue tuner not to have an external input for composite video.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

US market TVs have had external inputs for decades and were showing up in the early '80s. Only the cheapest portables don't.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

As I mentioned already before, I am trying to make my cable box with a HDTV/monitor combo now. The analog TV I used it with before DID have composite inputs but the HDTV does not.

Unfortunately the TV menu has no option to use its component input with composite video and by connecting it to the Y component terminal produces monochrome picture.

Here is again the link for my HDTV's User Manual:

cameo