comments on opensource gschem and pcb?

I am considering using gschem for schematic capture and pcb as the associated board layout tool. I am seeking comments about its capability in general, but also have some specific questions:

  1. how extensive is the component symbol libraries?
  2. how easy is it to make symbols? and add associated attributes such as package descriptions, and spice behavior models?
  3. How good is the spice simulation/model support?
  4. What (preferably free) alternative would you recommend? or commercial alternative?
  5. What digital simulation package is available for this environment and how good is it?

Thanks for your input.

-John

Reply to
three_jeeps

Better idea: Try them for yourself.

One great thing about Linux is that (unlike Windoze and its pathetic Windoze Registry) you *don't* have to *install* Linux to run it.

KiCAD (see above).

One to avoid:

JeffM

mike