Commenting on Toroidal Inductors and Transformers Page on Wiki

Wow! I'm impressed at the work put into this wiki page for Toroidal Inductors and Transformers. Nice pictures and diagrams.

I was looking for info on circumferential current. Before finding, I didn't know it had a name. Just thought electrons going in a circle.

Among all the other loops on a toroid there's that other loop. If I understand correctly, that other loop puts out a B field. The core doesn't confine it. There are two B fields with a toroid. One in the core from winding on the core and the other in space from the circumferential current.

Reply to
D from BC

s_and_transformers

We've been talking about this here for years. You can avoid the "circumferential current" by using a non-progressive winding.

Rayner and Kibble's "Coaxial AC Bridges" published in 1984

lists all three non-progressive winding schemes shown on the Wikipedia page, and devotes a bit more space to describing them.

I've recommended it here from time to time over the years. The first time seems to have been in January 2000 in the thread "Measuring

0.02fF (right, that's 0.00002pF)".

I didn't start mentioning the non-progressive winding stuff until a few years later.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman