commencement

Yesterday we enjoyed but mostly endured The Brat's commencement, MBA from UC Berkeley. I work for her now. The commencement speech was, what we could make out of it, perfectly dreadful. The acoustics in the Greek Theater are blessedly awful.

Imagine sitting in the sun in a black robe, listening to drivel for two hours. Two people passed out. I cut my Tulane graduation, because it would have been even longer and way, way hotter.

This is better:

If you are ever in Berkeley, no matter how you feel about the politics, stroll around the campus. It's stunningly beautiful. Have a beer at the Faculty Club (which is now a public bar and restaurant), a serene and beautiful place. The seasonal beer was Purple Haze on tap.

lunatic fringe electronics

Except for the Engineering Building (Cory Hall), which is really dated. Some students prefer UCLA for newer and better buildings.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Please convey my congratulations to your daughter. Perhaps you'll now stop referring to her as the "brat" ?:-}

(I cut my ASU MSEE graduation... probably even hotter ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

After I got my masters degree there was none of this celebration stuff. I received a simple post card in the mail, gray, post-consumer recycling paper, that my degree was ready to be picked up at room 121 at the so-and-so building. Not even a letter which would have cost 5c more in postage. Well, that way the mail man knew I had my degree.

Our "commencement" was self-organized. We rented a place called "Motor Bar", all of it, then had one wild party there. To this day I do not remember how I got home on my road bike but I did (even crossing a border that still existed back then).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That, and a couple of other modern buildings, are hideous. Just look away.

lunatic fringe electronics

I won't call her The Brat to her face, of course. She might fire me.

We're taking her and A Guy to Ruth's Chris Steak House shortly. The meat is amazing.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yep. Good place to celebrate! ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Congratulations, I guess now she can officially play the role of bean counter. You better show some progress from all those paper scribblings with no component values ;)

Martin Riddle

I only have a B.S. but that was all I needed since my designs got me all the jobs I needed.

BUT the University changed my degree 30 years after graduation from B.S.E.E to B.S. Electronics And Computers. How can they do that ? At least they did not change it to M.D. 'cause I would not like that responsibility ... working around nukes was bad enough.

Reply to
Retired

Well, some can't. If you are Engineering student, you pretty much live in that building half of the time. At least one student i knew turns down UCB for UCLA.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Yes, seems the Americans likes to celibrate, what ever they can :-)

In Denmark, where I live, When I received my diploma, we just went out and got drunk (that's what the Danes exceed at)

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Same in Germany. No official celebration but we also know how to drink... That reminds me that this happened looong ago, I'm getting old.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to