Color coding of RCA jacks

Yellow for video White for audio?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Okay, thanks.

I never noticed the latter, but you're right. Blue and Red are the colors of the main right and left main parties in Canada (and orange for labor far left). But red is still identified with communism everywhere I think- the East Is Red, the "Reds" etc.

There's the mnemonic port->wine->red->left ;-)

And I have to think of black = death to remember which is hot and which is neutral. I guess that wouldn't work if you were Japanese and knew white as the color of mourning.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Hello Spehro,

Looks like it.

Then there is stereo which is red for right and white for left, afaik. That always got me confused since I grew up in Europe and in politics the color red is associated with the left wing over there. In the US it would be blue ;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I read in sci.electronics.design that Joerg wrote (in ) about 'Color coding of RCA jacks', on Fri, 4 Mar 2005:

Nevertheless, for stereo Red is Right and bLue is Left. It confuses sailors as well.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

I would think that nowadays in Europe it would be green.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

Composite video is yellow Component video is green, blue, red

Stereo audio: Red is right, white is left.

For digital audio, 5.1 channel audio, etc. good luck. :-/

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Hello John,

That makes me wonder even more why they picked red for right. But blue? I have never seen a blue RCA plug on a cable that came with a TV or stereo. At least in the US it is always red and white for the audio path.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I read in sci.electronics.design that Joerg wrote (in ) about 'Color coding of RCA jacks', on Sat, 5 Mar 2005:

Four-core leads for hi-fi cassette recorders have red, white, black and yellow in US and Japan. In UK, the colours varied until the Far Eastern imports flooded the market. One set I had was red, blue, orange, green.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Red/blue maps were drawn for the 2000 election, though before that I don't recall the issue.

The red/blue maps don't look much different than the 2004 version except that, becasue of the 2000 census, there are more electors represented by "red" states. ...and there will be more (the pundits say 6) after the 2010 census.

--
  Keith
Reply to

I think the whole red blue thing is relatively new. Communism has been associated with red for a long time, but I don't remember anyone making a big deal about blue as a color for Democrats and red as a color for Republicans until the 2004 presidential election.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

How's your color vision?

Boats and planes have green lights on the starboard side. I may have an RCA cable with a green jack. I've never seen a blue one, though.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Oh, good. Then I doubt you think the starboard running light is blue, just that red/right ( R = R ) messes with sailors heads.

Oh I believe you on the cables. Aesthetically speaking, blue and orange sound ok. They'd go well with some high-falutin' gold-plated speaker wires.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

I read in sci.electronics.design that Active8 wrote (in ) about 'Color coding of RCA jacks', on Sun, 6 Mar 2005:

Normal trichromatic.

I'd post pictures of my blue and orange examples, if only I could find them. (:-(

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

After the collapse of the Soviet Union and the cessation of their interference with foreign governments, the neocons stepped into that role and, as a result, were assigned the 'Red' designation.

:-/

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I read in sci.electronics.design that Active8 wrote (in ) about 'Color coding of RCA jacks', on Sun, 6 Mar 2005:

Yes.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

It doesn't confuse sailors--the jacks are like coming into port. The rule is Red-Right-Returning.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs