Coaxial cable leakage

A few weeks ago, there was some talk about how interference leaks into coaxial cables, and I promised to dig up some measurements. (Thread "Are ferrite cable shields on coax a good idea?")

The results are at: . I measured only a few cable types, chosen from those that are commonly used around here, and which would fit into my test jig.

I've been trying to come up with a spice model for this, with checkered results. The low-frequency end is easy enough: It just depends on the DC screen resistance. But the drop of Zt at medium frequencies is apparently caused by the skin effect, and not, as I formerly believed, due to the common-mode inductance of the cable under test.

With just the cable geometry and screen resistance measurement, I can't predict at which frequency the breakpoint will be, and I don't readily know how to model the skin effect in spice, either. Anyone care to comment?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Robert LaCoste made considerable experiments into different grounding patterns with different types of co-ax, which is a closely related area. It was written up in a very recent edition of Circuit Cellar - December 2008 IIRC. You should look it up, because he presented models that explain much of what he measured.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Did I miss it or did you state what the termination of the outer transmission line is?

Skin effect looks quite a bit like a parallel RL circuit. A many stage lumped constant line will match a cable fairly well if you do parallel RL and series RC circuits to model the increased losses at higher frequencies.

Reply to
MooseFET

this may or may not help

Mark