Coax for vacuum applications

Hi, Can anyone suggest where i can get the 50 ohm coax for UH-vacuum applications? thanks in advance.

Reply to
Arch

I'd consider semirigid coax (Google "semirigid coax") Solid wire center conductor, solid Teflon dielectric, solid copper tube for the shield. May be low enough outgasing for all but EHV.

0.141" od is common, but there are smaller and larger diameters. Might be an arcing issue at the ends of small diameters? Pasternack has some, but 50-foot minimum.

Steve Noll | The Used Equipment Dealer Directory: |

| Peltier Information Directory: |

Steve Noll

what power, what frequency?

Reply to
no_one

Try MDC Vacuum,

This is bakeable to 260°C and claims it is designed for HV and UHV.

Bret Cannon

Reply to
Bret Cannon

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 00:53:10 GMT, Steve Noll Gave us:

The slightly less rigid, tinned braid outer sheath versions are out there as well.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Thanks people. The signal is not more than few mVolts and the bandwidth is 10MHz. I saw at MDC but they don't sell less than 30ft. I need only may be

10ft and yes inexpensive the better.
Reply to
Arch

Looks promising. Ultra-high vacuum is all about pumping rates and baking, so I''d think about making my own connections by stretching the centre wire between UH -coaxial feedthroughs (tricky enough - you need parts with glass-to-metal seals on the centre pin) and mechnicallly locating a thoroughly rigid copper outer around it (assembled in reverse order).

Not as conveninet as the store-bought cable, but it might pump down faster.

--=20 Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Thanks Bill, If i don't get something inexpensive store - made , i will go the route you told me to. I dont think i get the glass-to-metal seals for the center conductor part? Can we buy such wires with glass- insulator on them?

Reply to
Arch

you need the glass to metal seal at the vacuum chamber interface to keep the atmosphere out and vacuum in you chamber. Usually a vacuum rated feedthrough at the chamber wall is used. you also need to consider contamination from the coax if it has not been vacuum baked previously.

Reply to
no_one

Soitenly! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Thanks guys, I have some feedthrough for ultra high vacuum so i am planning to use them. So to make a coax, i will take some stainless steel wire (prferably stranded). Now, before i put the copper around for EMI , i need a insulator? Are there any ultra-high vacuum insulators which won't break at cryogenic temperatures. Teflon may be the right choice?

Reply to
Arch

How about vacum?

As in an empty void instead of an insulator.

At your voltage level it should be fine. You will have to adjust the geometry and velocity factor slightly compared to popular dielectrics, but that may not matter either.

Reply to
cs_posting

We use "coax" shielded cable that's made with ceramic disks spaced every so often. No problem for bakeout or ultra-high vacuum. It's not 50 ohms, and it has a higher capacitance than any coax you're used to in air.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win