clear flux under 1206 resistor

What solvent is used with ultrasound?

Reply to
Steve Wilson

For cleaners, it is always water-based. Soap, detergent, or mild reagents can be added for various purposes; to clean oily items, I mix in waterless hand cleaner or soluble oil (it makes a milky suspension, mainly water, but holds lipids in suspension). For steel parts, I sometimes use some oxalic acid (it'll take the blueing off a spark plug).

Liquids other than water might work if you could tune power levels, but the cavitation energy in water is the key to getting performance from the commercial cleaner tanks.

Reply to
whit3rd

Thanks. Very good info. I thought soap would just make tiny bubbles and destroy the cleansing. Good to find out it still works.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

This is starting to get interesting. Thanks for providing such good info.

  1. Do you need to start with distilled water or is RO ok?
  2. How do you tell when the flux has been removed from under the components?
  3. How do you know how long to keep the pcb in the tank?
  4. Can you put multiple pcbs in at the same time?
  5. Does orientation have any effect on the cleaning?
  6. Do you need disilled water to rinse or is RO ok?

Thanks

Reply to
Steve Wilson