Circuits Challenge For Non-Morons

On second thoughts I did offer a solution: leave jumper cables as they are.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 13:43:44 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: (...)

Jumper cables with automatic safety switching

Jumper cables for sparkling polarity indicator

Battery jumper cable

Car battery jumper cable (this one is rather complicated)

Polarity independent battery jumper cables or charger with automatic polarity detector and built-in automatic safety features

Jump start and reverse battery protection circuit

Polarity independent battery jumper cables or charger with automatic polarity detector and built-in automatic safety features

Never blow up your battery with Michelin Smart Jumper Cables

and so on.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

In their suspenders and brar?

Reply to
krw

I was at the Folsom Street Fair. A gigantic scary-looking hairy bear-guy, dressed in leather straps, accidentally bumped into me. He said, in a tiny squeaky voice, "Oh! Excuuuuse me!"

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I tap the final connection to see how big a spark it makes.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I think they call them fuzzy bears or something like that in San Fran.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Boom: Car battery explosions and fires

What happens when you Jump Start your car the WRONG WAY! Spoiler: Carry spare fuses for the car.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Something like this

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I'm sure grateful that's Only in Milwaukee.

 Click to see the full signature

Lemme guess, you want to get into the business with product #2?

Manipulating Usenet egomaniacs into doing your homework for you isn't exactly a challenge but I doubt anyone is gonna fall for a hustle THIS transparent.

I could be wrong, though.

Reply to
bitrex

Say, incidentally how do I go about ah, "jump starting" a car where the security system has ah, malfunctioned and killed power to the starter?

Y'know, for science.

Reply to
bitrex

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

snip

Start with two of these and make an LED indicator board with some diode bridges in it to tell you when you have it right.

Or you could take a std set of cables and add have a lab alligator clip jumper to each of the four ends. Then put a small polarity indicator circuit in series with them and use them to 'test' your connection choices.

The automatic way would be to use high current relays which get fired by the circuit that FED the LEDs. Set it (attach the cables) and go!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

once you work it out, i once had a history piece that was started that way all the time

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Thank you for looking those up, lots of interesting circuits. The one produ ct I saw on the shelf claimed protection under

atent/US5795182 . I'm at a loss to find such a thing called a electromagnet ic crossbar pivot switch they mention there. The market for safety battery jumpers and chargers is heating up (no pun-re ally). After running searches on related products, Amazon saw fit to alert me to this one
, and you can see bunch es more at the bottom of page "Sponsored products related to this item."

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

witches the correct polarity regardless of battery terminal attachment of c lamps. Must recover from/ survive full short circuit overload on heavy duty batteries. Circuit requires no intervention from user other than clamp att achment.

complicated in my estimation.

You're not even close. Go back to fiddling with your 80's vintage audio dum pster finds...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

switches the correct polarity regardless of battery terminal attachment of clamps. Must recover from/ survive full short circuit overload on heavy du ty batteries. Circuit requires no intervention from user other than clamp a ttachment.

y complicated in my estimation.

umpster finds...

what other possible use is this technology?

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's an unfair characterization of my work! I have a number of dumpster finds from the 1990s, too!

Reply to
bitrex

The wonders of a bridge rectifier to ensure polarity correctness for Dummies.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

ote:

ally switches the correct polarity regardless of battery terminal attachmen t of clamps. Must recover from/ survive full short circuit overload on heav y duty batteries. Circuit requires no intervention from user other than cla mp attachment.

verly complicated in my estimation.

't

HIS

io dumpster finds...

Doesn't work.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Just a diode for reverse-polarity protection works fine. If you get it wrong grab another set of cables with the same protection diode and attach to a second car and try again. If you get that wrong too try again, just keep rolling cars up until you get it right. Doesn't require any intervention from the user other than clamp attachment (assuming the user knows how to drive.)

Reply to
bitrex