Circuits Challenge For Non-Morons

The trick I use is to clip the earth clip of the "sick" car onto something insulated first (like a heater hose, or the insulation on the live battery cable). Then connect the live lead, connect the "good" battery clips and finally connect the ground clip. a no time is it necessary to keep loose clips separated.

--
     ?
Reply to

I don't understand all the fuss. You only need one relay and a pushbutton that latches it on only if both polarities are correct. If you're a non-moron, you don't need anything but jumper cables.

Reply to
mike

I thought the saying was 'breed smarter idiots' ?

Martin Riddle

I'd like to see (from a slight distance) what happens when someone uses regular cables after they've had experience using this.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

The regular cable maker gets sued for selling a dangerous product when safe alternatives exist? :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

ent

heavy

n clamp

ly

moron.

That will work. I used to clip the clamp to the jumper cable itself, but th e ones I have now have a really strong spring and sharp teeth, so I don't c lip them to anything other than a battery post. No telling what future fail ure you get sated by damaging insulation on something.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I don't see you offering a quick solution if it's so trivial.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The target market is probably people who are afraid of electricity. You know, people who think they will be killed by a 12 volt battery because it has so many amps.

I've known giant gruff hairy lumberjack-pickup type guys who are terrified of electricity.

lunatic fringe electronics

Just keep the red one away from the black one.

lunatic fringe electronics

Right! And then it becomes a regulated product.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

On Wednesdays they go shopping and eat buttered scones with tea.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

What's the point? It's like saying help what do I do my food's not salty enough. I also wish these kind of idiot products didn't exist. Quadrupling the cost and tenthing the life expectancy is not my idea of a move forward.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yesterday's news...

A new ?touch-free? packaging for people too scared to handle raw meat is being launched by a major supermarket.

Sainsbury's has announced it will be selling the range after research found some shoppers do not like handling raw chicken.

It will be aimed at millennial shoppers, who apparently prefer to avoid uncooked meat, reports all media outlets.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Have you ever jump started a car with the cables backwards? I have when I wasn't paying attention. The result was a small spark, the smell of burning insulation, and a warm feeling from the giant alligator clip that I was holding. I rapidly determined that something was wrong and removed the giant alligator clip with some force. There was a piece of metal, about 1/2" in diameter, missing from the giant alligator clip. There was the possibility of igniting accumulated hydrogen gas inside the battery, but that didn't happen. In short, this is not a problem worth solving.

You could probably do better with a high current fusible link in series with each cable. In the middle to keep any sparks away from the hydrogen in the batteries. Short the cables (I've also done that when I wasn't paying attention) or connect them backwards, and the fusible link will melt. Starter current is about 200 amps, so I would guess(tm) a 400A fuse should be sufficient:

"HOW TO: World's Most Expensive Jumper Cables"

Drivel: Around 1973, on scenic Hwy 1, I stopped to help a gorgeous damsel in distress jump start her car. Pop the hood, attach the cables, and crank-n-grind. What could possibly go wrong? Well, two problems.

  1. She was gorgeous and I was paying more attention to her than to what I was doing.
  2. Her older British sports car (forgot year and model) had a positive 12V ground electrical system. I got her car started in short order, but before I disconnected the cables, she opened her door, which then touched the side of my car. Snap, crackle, pop, and I now had a small hole blown into the side of my car door.

Moral: Pay attention.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Your story proves the that it is worth having, providing it doesn't cost too much.

Yeah- more than a lot of people can manage.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

You keep saying it's simple and stupid, but you offer no solutions.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

To say cross-posting to such a group will not be appreciated here would be a gross understatement.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I don't remember that being a verse in Monty Python's Flying Circus's "Lumberjack Song"; they must have missed a trick!

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

nt

heavy

clamp

oron.

Grab your right wrist with your left hand. Now do the same thing with the cables you take off the first battery. Don't use the part of the jaws with the teeth so you don't compromise the insulation. You can just drop it on the ground while disconnecting the other battery (unless you're working on a conducting floor).

No trick at all. No need to tart something up with electronics when smart s work better.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

I see you're learning.