CircuitMaker 6 - Any hobbyist using?

As mentioned a few days ago I'm getting back into my electronics hobby and using CircuitMaker 6 for schematic drawing and simulation. Encountering a few obscure errors when trying my first few sims and so far haven't found a CM forum to ask for help. Anyone know of an appropriate community, or anyone here still using the program please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Reply to

Why not use LT Spice?

 Click to see the full signature

Because I used to be very comfortable with CM and have drawn hundreds of schematics with it. And simulated maybe 25-50% of them. But it will take me a week or two to regain that easy familiarity.

I've used LT Spice and several others too, but I'm happy to stick with CM now.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Reply to

The learning curve on LT Spice is fast. And we post/discuss LT Spice ascii-format schematics here.

I don't think there is much benefit from using the same software for simulation and for schematic entry/layout.

 Click to see the full signature

I'm still using CircuitMaker 2000. Started using it YEARS ago and still find it quick and easy. Been along time since I imported a spice model, but it does it nicely.

Reply to
sdy

Thanks, good to know.

The puzzle that prompted my post is illustrated here:

I'd appreciate any suggestions you or others may have please.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Reply to

Looks like C3 is a bit off-grid? Perhaps it is not really connected to anything.

What is the circuit for? Does it just toggle the relay when you press the button?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Yes, a toggler. It allows me to use improvised switches around the garage, the sort I can nudge with an elbow when my hands are full, or just slap for the fun of it.

The polar cap is definitely connected (as is the identical one top right, which reports no error). It is indeed a bit 'off grid' but I can move it and the wires move as well. It is a 'macro' device though, IOW one I designed myself to supplement the 4013 in CM's Device Library. And so is the 4013, which is the other potential culprit at that node. But that too *seems* connected OK...

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Reply to

That's a coincidence I had to come up with something for that a couple of weeks ago! (Not for a garage, just the general circuit).

I almost asked here about it since there are so many ways to do it but I did not really like any of them.

Here's mine:

Untested and unsimulated!

(anyone got anything better? comments? ~10V operation.)

Dunno then sorry. (If you used LTSpice you could post the netlist here!)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

FWIW, mine has been working OK for 14 years. The N/O switches are crude and undoubtedly very noisy. Made from a bit of hinged wood with a small piece of tin at one end which makes contact with a drawing pin pushed into the wall. A small spring near the hinge keeps it ready for the next tap.

I think I based my circuit on one from Bill Bowden.

Looks like I'm going to have to study the manual and my 15 year old notes.

--------------------

@sdy:

My CM is CircuitMaker 2000, not 6 as I said before. The manual implies

6 but also covers 'CircuitMaker Pro', and my Help > About says 'CircuitMaker 2000 Integrated Schematic Capture and Simulation Professional Edition Build 4'
--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I *think* 'CM 2000' and 'CM Pro' are two names for the same or very
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Terry Pinnell schrieb:

Half OT: Wouldn't it be better to use a PNP-type for Q2 or insert the relay in the collector path of Q2?

Best regards

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

Possibly yes, Reinhard, but as mentioned it's been working OK for 14 years so I'm happy with it!

It has a good pedigree too. As per the footnote in my last post, I found it on Bill Bowden's excellent site. It's called 'CMOS Toggle Flip Flop Using Push Button' here:

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Reply to
Terry Pinnell

So it's best to follow the rule "Never change a winning team!" ;-)

Best regards

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner