Circuit simulation software - Page 5

Re: Circuit simulation software

I didn't say that although it appears to be atributed to me.

I did say that.

Don't know who said that and not sure what it was in reply to - surely not
my comment?

Please trim you attributions accurately guys.

Ian

Re: Circuit simulation software

You realize you just cut out everyone doing IC design there, right?  I think
it's a safe statement that no one designs, e.g., an IC op-amp and *doesn't*
perform circuit simulation first.

I second Slavek's suggestion to check out SI-Metrix from Catena; it's a
beautiful piece of work.

---Joel Kolstad

Re: Circuit simulation software

Well of course that is one of the unusual cases, indeed spice was
developed specifiaclly for that purpose. Chip makers, as a rule, don't
come online looking for the cheapest simulator around, so I think we
can safely say the OP isn't in that catagory.

Re: Circuit simulation software

Neither breadboarding nor simulation is a safe substitute for design.
I rarely simulate, and rarely breadboard, and then just a few parts
tacked together. We think, design, lay out multilayer boards, let
Production build a couple, and test them. Most are sellable first try.

We don't measure a product's performance so much as we predict it and
sell it, then verify.

John

Re: Circuit simulation software

The facts are truly that 10,000s of analogue ics engineers simulate as
the main bread and butter tool of design, for 40 hours a week and
produce billions of chips. Its just the way it truly is. No amount of
banter is going to change the facts that is done every f*&^%ing day of
the week at companies such as linear technology, analogue devices, Texas
Instruments, Intersil, On-semi conductor. The list is endless.
Unfortunately, many just don't have the knowledge as to what is actually
done at these companies, no matter how many times I try to point out the
real, verifiable facts.

You are probably not designing complex transistor level circuits.
Anything more than 2 transistors is not truly solvable by hand. I would
like anyone do an accurate pole-zero calculation of even a 4 transistor
circuit, and this don't even account for non-linear storage, or
non-linear capacitor effects.

The reality is that despite having a good handle on the overal operation
of complex circuits, without simulation, one knows nothing about how the
circuit will really work in detail.

People need to get out of this, pen ana paper is the only way "real"
engineers design. Like, consider solving the equations for colliding
black holes. Like, you think people can do this by hand?

Most modern products now are too complex to do without extensive
simulation.

Ahmm...

Kevin Aylward B.Sc.
snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk
http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

"There are none more ignorant and useless,than they that seek answers
on their knees, with their eyes closed"

Re: Circuit simulation software

Simetrix from Catena:

http://www.catena.uk.com /

Re: Circuit simulation software

On 12 Jun 2006 11:40:21 -0700, in sci.electronics.design "Slavek"

looks interesting but, strangely, from their pricing page

"Note that we cannot accept cash under any circumstances."

Must be the Talban Effect

martin

Re: Circuit simulation software

It wouldn't be the first English company I've encountered where it seems
like they don't *really* want to sell you anything and it takes significant
effort before you're "allowed" to do so! :-)

SI-Metrix used to be its own little company (Newbury Technology) before
Catena acquired it and raised the prices.  However, John Warner is still at
the helm of SI-Metrix, and as long as that's the case I think it'll conitnue
to be a good product (unlike, say, PSpice which has stagnated at best under
Cadence's ownership).

---Joel

Re: Circuit simulation software

Or the Talbin effect.

Talbin is a French slang word for banknote.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Re: Circuit simulation software

I'm not sure what the needs of the original poster were, but tools that
might be applicable include: Gnucap, ngspice, tclspice, gnetlist,
WinSpice, XSpice and MacSpice.  I've got a page on my website where you
can access details:
http://www.eehomepage.com/query.php?Find=spice&query=Type

Regards,
Mike Stanley