circuit design to pc board

new to all of this--i have a reasonable electronics background--i know how to use oscilloscopes,soldering iron, and dvm

problem i hve is given a circuit design--like a phono preamp

how do you lay out the components --is there some principle using those boards that have rows of connectors--every time i try to lay out a design it becomes a total mess how is this done?--is there some software to help?

tia

peter

Reply to
ilaboo

There is a current thread going on this.

If you had bothered to READ the group,

*-the-*-*-style-*-*-*-*+qq+qq+uu+adapt-your-own-*-accordingly
*-*-*+discuss+lurk.for.a.while+exchange+Abuse+educate+Read.the.FAQs&strip=1 you would have found it.

Reply to
JeffM

You want to know if there's software to make neater breadboard circuits ?? :P Like a breadboard autoplacement and autorouter? AFAIK..that doesn't exist.

Huhhh... If SED is for advanced topics, this question is like asking God "How long would I have to shit to fill up a swimming pool?"

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

Mashed, or as dumped ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

As dumped.. No toilet paper. Pool is covered to retain moisture. Compression from it's own weight might need to be considered. Microbes might cause some volume loss.. ..Methane?

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

The methane could be used for a BBQ so you can have a party. More sh** to fill the pool. Use some to fertilize gras and get some cows and a bull. Hmm, sounds like a self supporting system to me.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Organize the components so they are nicely aligned and the copper traces between them are as short as possible. Place connectors on the edge of the board. Designing PCBs is like solving a maze-puzzle. It takes a lot of practise.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Reply to
Nico Coesel

I think the OP is using a breadboard and would like to know how to reduce a hairball of parts and connections.

I've done so much breadboard work, I don't know anymore how I do it .. It just turns out good enough.. Time put into super neat breadboard work isn't worthy. Might as well put the time into creating a pcb.

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

Have you tried spray paint to hide everything? ;-)

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You should ask dimbulb. It's the most qualified for this question.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ilaboo replied via email:

You seem to think we need *more* idiots around here.

Reply to
JeffM

The problem is, that there has been PCB layout software that was very highly touted to do what you say (expensive tho), and "autorouter" was the monnniker / tradename used at one time...

Reply to
Robert Baer

I think you are right. My mistake. The picture of Bob Pease (did I spell his name correct?) with an LM-ancient on a breadboard comes to mind. Breadboards are always messy. I guess the best advise is to use special breadboard wires. These can be found on Ebay for reasonable prices.

I haven't used a breadboard myself for ages. I simulate most of the stuff and/or build a PCB straight away.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Reply to
Nico Coesel

This might be worth a look... I agree that its probably a waste of money tho

AJ

I use Eagle

which has a free version for limited sized boards (good enough for most hobbyists). It's available for MacOS X, Windows and Linux.

I'm still learning to master Eagle, but can mention that it has an auto-routing function which automatically routes the shortest distance of the circuit traces though most people I've spoken to recommend that I do it manually instead. I tend to go for a combination of manual and automatic routing as I'm no expert yet :-)

Hope this helps.

Reply to
NoSp