Chinese fuses

Is there any reason why you don't use a clamp meter for this? It just seems a bit of an odd way of going about it.

Why so?

Reply to
Chris

THanks, Phil, I'll check it out. I actually cracked one of these 5A fuses apart today. Good news is it was at least sand-filled. Potential bad news, though, is the wire inside was much thicker than I'd expected to find; certainly a *lot* thicker than some 5A fuse wire off an old Woolworths bobbin I had lying around. I can micrometer them up for comparison purposes, but if they're made of dissimilar metals it's not really going to prove anything I guess. :(

Reply to
Chris

There are some *known* fake Bussman fuses out there which are really dangerous. There was an item on them in the 'Fake Britain' BBC show recently.

Reply to
Chris

Well how would you do it? I don't know the breaking capacity of mains plug fuses, but domestic CU fuses & MCBs are 1kA - 6kA, not exactly a trivial thing to set up on the workbench.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

** Both examples were labelled "Bussmann".

Have a good look at the 13A fuse in the first test.

Chinese fakers have no regard for brand names or anything else.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison