Cheap USB analog interface?

For years, I've had this ISOPOD back burner project going. The concept was a tennis ball shaped object you could ( reasonably safely ) clamp on one of your input ac power lines and it would transmit your current ( and thus more or less your power ) consumption on a sampled-fairly-often basis.

I'm wondering if a demo cannot be built up using stock parts at reasonable costs. The Fluke i2500 looks like a good (but pricey) front end.

Question: What is a reasonably cheap analog to wireless USB stock product? Or preferably stock analog to wireless to web? Can it be powered from a current transformer? What reception software would be involved? Can javaScript on the web do it?

The whole point is that smart power meters seem slow coming locally, and that many smart meters will be "closed' rather than "open access" devices. Some means is needed to safely sample power consumption for energy awareness. Without needing an electrician or meeting specs. Two units would likely be needed, one for each 110 volt arm of the 220 volt input.

Yes, the sensor might be ahead of the meter. But the total power "stolen" would be miniscule and the utility benefits would be major.

If the data rate was high enough, power factor could also be sensed. Even without, the current consumption should be a most useful metric.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Define cheap ;)

The HoBo stuff does usb wireless.

I have not seen a small ADC --> USB logger that's cheap. Would be useful tho. I've done a PIC USB HID and its not that difficult.

Martin Riddle

d.

Not cheap, but quick and dirty. I have a PIC connected to an Android phone with the camera pointing to the meter. The phone can push images to any web site. The PIC is running on isolated solar power and is going to sample the V & I, as well as pushing excess power back into the meter.

Hard to sample V & I with javascript. You need Assembler or C on a micro.

Quarter wave samplings should be good enough to give you some idea of power consumptions.

Reply to
linnix

You can always go with a USB host uC and USB WiFi adapter. However, software for WiFi adapter is not simple.

Reply to
linnix

That would require a TPC/IP stack, or maybe just UDP.

Here's a Dataq logger for $29

You just need a wireless interface.

Martin Riddle

or

9.95$ cheap enough?
code is be simple enough to change if you rather it be a "normal" usb device instead of simulating a keyboard

rather than going all the trouble of getting a usb host to talk to a wifi module, I'd get something like this:

10004 looks straight forward to get it running:
ic.php?f=3D32&t=3D25129

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

What National Instruments is not.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

ept

mp

ent

ont

,

s"

for

Two

.
.

c.

/10004

pic.php?f=3D32&t=3D25129

You probably need to have at least a laptop (USB host) to hook this up, and you need to power it separately from the main. With lower power host uC, it's easier to isolate the power. To sample full wave, you need to tie the uC with one of the hot wire (220V). I am just going to sample and inject quarter wave (first quadrant), so my uC ground is tied to neutral. I am using 250V 3A opto isolated power injectors.

Reply to
linnix

ncept

lamp

rrent

front

be

ly,

ess"

on for

. Two

0

or.

ed.

ric.

,

ts/10004

nope, that last link was for someone who used a arduino, (8 bit avr) and about one page of c code to transmit the on time of an input pin

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

:

concept

clamp

current

) front

ck

be

ld be

ally,

ccess"

tion for

cs. Two

220

ajor.

nsed.

etric.

be

er,

ucts/10004

Don't you need a laptop or USB host controller to receive the data?

,
Reply to
linnix

Mine is 100% open:

Not cheap, though, because it does 16 channels over ethernet. Adapt as you see fit :-)

Well, mine uses current clamps, so if you're not wanting to open your breaker panel, it's not for you. If you use clip-on sensors, you don't need to disconnect the wires, but those are bigger and more expensive than the feed-through types.

The ADE power metering chips do all that for you - power factor, watts vs volt-amps, power, energy, etc. Just add a current clamp, an AC voltage (for phase reference), and something that talks SPI. These are the same chips that are used in digital side-of-house energy meters.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

te:

e concept

) clamp

r current

at

ey) front

tock

t be

ould be

ocally,

access"

mption for

pecs. Two

e 220

wer

major.

sensed.

metric.

ld be

ever,

oducts/10004

you'd want a computer somewhere to recieve the data sent over wifi, othervise theres not much point in sending it ;)

other that as far as I can tell that code and avr+WiFly combo will connect to a wifi network and start sending data to a fixed ip

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

rote:

The concept

ly ) clamp

our current

s at

icey) front

stock

it be

would be

locally,

en access"

sumption for

specs. Two

the 220

power

be major.

e sensed.

ul metric.

ould be

owever,

o a

products/10004

Yes, but i don't have to tie the computer to the live main. It's much easier to isolate a small micro than a laptop or desktop.

Reply to
linnix

. The concept

fely ) clamp

your current

rts at

pricey) front

SB stock

an it be

re would be

ng locally,

open access"

onsumption for

ng specs. Two

f the 220

l power

d be major.

be sensed.

eful metric.

=A0Would be

=A0However,

to a

m/products/10004

is

)

I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about

the mcu and that wifi module sends the data over wifi, you can connect that to mains if you want to. The only connecting to the outside world is wireless thats' kinda the point of using wifi

But some where in the world something has to receive that data, that could be your desktop, a web server somewhere etc.

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I thought we are talking about this USB interface.

Reply to
linnix

Wireless USB

Reply to
hamilton

Which one? Any link?

Reply to
linnix

Its kind of funny that a few years ago, Wireless USB was the rage.

Today the usb.org has changed the Wireless USB to a "good idea":

PCs have Bluetooth or 802.11 as standard wireless interfaces.

802.15.4 (Zigbee) seems to be a custom solution, but lots of people are making them.

So, there is really no wireless standard that's cheap.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Or reliable enough. I guess it's OK for the OP, since he is only interested in monitoring the line. However, my goal is to inject power at the proper phase angle. If it's off, it could be getting 300V

  • voltage mismatch. So, i don't really trust USB (wired or wireless) in the control loop.
Reply to
linnix

d.

one: (928)428-4073