Cheap, portable, optical scanner

Are you actually MP3-compressing the received data? I would be very concerned that you're losing important information there. MP3 was designed to reproduce audio, it wasn't designed as a general-purpose compression algorithm for analog data capture sessions.

It sounds like each of these samples is probably not very large, can you capture them without compression, i.e. as raw PCM data?

Reply to
larwe

I read in sci.electronics.design that Tom Potter wrote (in ) about 'Cheap, portable, optical scanner', on Sat, 19 Mar 2005:

A pickup cartridge for vinyl records is made for this job. You would need an amplifier to connect it to the MP3 player.

There are two sorts of cartridge - piezo electric and magnetic. The piezo type has an output proportional to stylus displacement, but the sensitivity steps down from the low-frequency value at 500 Hz and below to half that value at 2 kHz and above (roughly). The piezo type is a capacitive source and requires an amplifier with a high resistive input impedance.

The magnetic type has an output proportional to stylus speed, with the above stepped response superimposed on that. It has an inductive and resistive source impedance and requires a specific resistive load, normally 47 kohms.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Use a Webcam, and if necessary put a magnifying lens in front ! Why are you trying to build an ACOUSTIC Force Microscope to examine Macroscopic Objects !

Yukio YANO

a retired Scanning Electron Microscope person.

Reply to
Yukio YANO

I am interested in analyzing surfaces of objects to detect natural and man-made shaping of the object surface, and I have been experimenting, using a MP3 player/recorder to record the sound, as I drag various fabrics attached to the player across the objects.

Fingerprint scanners operated about 500 DPI, and the "ridges" that I want to "transducer" are a little coarser than that.

I have experimented with various "transducer interface materials" glued onto the MP3 player, and I have not found a suitable material, as all materials have many resonances, and those, combined with the resonances of the MP3 players I have used, tend to obscure the data associated with the surfaces, that I want to analyze.

I would appreciate any input and ideas about producing an audio signal that models a surface, in a small portable, inexpensive package.

A small, low-power, laser probe would probably do a better job, and I am hopeful of using an MP3 player/recorder for this, as the cost, size, power consumption and frequency response seems to be ideal.

Does anyone have any input on how an optical mouse might work as a surface scanner, and how it can be interfaced to an MP3 player?

The data from the MP3 player would be downloaded into a PC and analyzed. I have experimented with a number of time series analyzer programs such as SigView, and would also appreciate any suggestions on how to best present the data, so it could be interpreted by a layman.

Tom Potter
http://home.earthlink.net/~tdp
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Potter

SNIP

Maybe the reading head of a CD-player?

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

Thanks for the input.

I will try this, if I can't come up with a suitable optical device.

--
Tom Potter
http://home.earthlink.net/~tdp
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Potter

I am experimenting using the wave recording feature of MP3 players, and this works okay, except for the resonances in my MP3 player cases, and in my "transducer interfaces".

As far as I know, no MP3 player compresses the audio input.

In other words, they have an MP3 decoder, but not an MP3 encoder on the chip.

But that said, it really doesn't matter if it compressed to MP3 or not, as lossy encoding won't affect my analysis much.

--
Tom Potter
http://home.earthlink.net/~tdp
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Potter

A webcam would generate too much data.

I need a small, cheap, low power, portable device that can be plugged into a computer USB port.

( This is for a possible consumer product.)

--
Tom Potter
http://home.earthlink.net/~tdp
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Potter

Sounds like a good idea! Maybe I'll try this.

--
Tom Potter
http://home.earthlink.net/~tdp