Cheap Frequency Counter

Hi All, has anyone used this before:

The frequency range seems impressive for the price, but I'm a little skeptic.

Reply to
M. Hamed

"M. Hamed"

** The specs and price are normal for direct from China.

The counter should work as advertised, such units have been around for a long time.

The accuracy (20ppm) is nothing wonderful.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Read more complete specs:

I have one and I feel that the input and trigger sensitivity is low. But, I may be expecting too much for that price. Anyway, it works.

Reply to
John S

The price is just about right for that unit.

2.4 Ghz counters are nothing these days..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

"John S"

** The specs look OK to me - too much sensitivity leads to unstable readings.

The mediocre frequency accuracy of such counters results from a crystal that sits open on the PCB and so drifts with the local ambient temperature.

If there is a trimmer cap next to it, one can set the accuracy to better than 1ppm using a broadcast frequency standard - assuming you are near one - or using a known frequency reference. But the drift issue remains.

The biggest part of the temperature drift is mostly due to internal heat sources in the unit, workshop room temps being comparatively stable. So all you have to do is mount a small (ie 30mm) fan above the crystal, blowing room temp air onto it.

Hey presto, no warm up drift.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I got one of these. I haven't used it much but it does work. It's not very fast takes a long time to "warm up" and I have a real hard time reading the LED display. Not much difference between a lit segment and an unlit one in normal room light. I find this feature really bothersome.

Paul C

Reply to
Paul Colby

Also bear in mind local import duty - in the UK; royal mail levies a "handling charge" for collecting the revenue, that amounts to racketeering!

A few years ago I ordered a Jaycar kit for an EPE project (reproduced by permission of Silicon Chip) - the RM "handling charge" was actually more than the duty they collected!!!

Reply to
Ian Field

.

g!

yep same here, one cent over ~10 euro and they charge you 20euro handling

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Mine was a bit more than that - the total of handling charge + revenue came to about 50% the value of the kit!!!!!

They they delivered a card instead of the package that amounted to blackmail - pay the ransom or don't get the goods.

Reply to
Ian Field

How's it feel?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

"Paul Colby"

** I can see a problem even in the pics on the page.

IME red LED displays have really excellent legibility - even in a well lit workshop.

Funny how they seem to be out of fashion.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Meanwhile, the LCD on my DAB radio is difficult to see whether its even displaying anything.

Good old Hitachi eh.

Reply to
Ian Field

Thanks All. The unit is on the way. I am having a hard time understanding the specs, aside from the obvious things, but it's Ok for now.

Reply to
M. Hamed