Charging scheme for "electric gas station"?

Given current (or easily imaginable by an electronics engineer) battery technology in electric cars, how long would it take for an electric car to get a decent charge? Seems to me that there would be some serious connection problems with respect to heat generated by a massive amount of current flow required for charging. A parking garage charging scheme seems much better than just some electric charging point along the way. But I do not know for sure, that is why I ask.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

New technologies are suggesting charge times something like 5 minutes. Awfully efficient lithium stuff, probably on the verge of ignition at that charge rate anyway. Still too long, and the amount of electricity is staggering. (Heat is just an engineering problem: keep the contacts away from dirt better, and use bigger prongs. No big deal.) Some sort of battery exchange would be more effective.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Indeed. A car needs something in the vicinity of 700kJ/km. So a charge good for, say, 500km in 5 minutes would require over a MW of power. It's hard to beat fossil fuels.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

yes, if you do the calculation, the equivalent power flow through the rubber hose of a common gas pump when you put gas in your car, say 10 gallons in 2 minutes, is in the MEGA Watts. That is a sobbering fact.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Especially while the world is owned by big oil companies.

So, as Tim Williams wrote (and was for some strange reason snipped), you simply exchange the battery. That might be off-topic, but it is easy to imagine and understand.

Reply to
John Doe

So go live in the woods and make your own fur clothing from the bears you kill. Only big enterprises can deliver terawatts of power to billions of people.

Sounds like a gigantic nuisance to me, a ton of batteries instead of

60 pounds of gasoline. Cars work awfully well as-is, and I'm grateful to Exxon and Shell and Valero for the high-quality, inexpensive fuel that's always available, practically everywhere, day or night. I certainly don't begrudge them the few per cent they make.

If you don't approve of cars, get a bicycle.

John

"Exchanging the battery" likely triples the operating costs of an electric vehicle. There would now have to be at least three batteries for every vehicle, possible more.

There is NO WAY that battery exchange stations make any economic sense at all.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

I figured it might have to be spelled out for the politically challenged, after I posted. Your ignorance is jumping to conclusions, and you are wearing partisan blinders. Hint... Have you ever heard of nuclear power, Moron? Probably not, since big oil owns everything and prevents the subject from getting in front of your Moronic face so that you might notice it.

So you have an opinion, Moron, good for you.

That straw man was formed in the vacuum between your ears, Moron.

--
> From: John Larkin
> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Subject: Re: Charging scheme for "electric gas station"?
> Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:28:22 -0700

Reply to
John Doe

Says who?

Why is that?

Says who?

--
> From: Don Lancaster
> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Subject: Re: Charging scheme for "electric gas station"?
> Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:43:58 -0700

Reply to
John Doe

Sure. I tried to order a Volkswagen with a nuclear engine but they were out of stock.

Probably not, since big

Big oil is about as efficient and reliable as enterprises ever get. It's astounding that they can drill wells, transport crude, refine it into gasoline, and make it available at a pump for less than the cost of milk or drinking water.

What do you drive?

John

Plain old arithmetic.

Three is greater than one. Except for very large values of two.

One battery in the car, one being charged, and one spare for peak demand.

Plus, of course, the financial and overhead costs of making the service available.

Multiple batteries obviously price electric vehicles out of existence. Ain't gonna happen.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Most cars are used for commuter traffic so an electric car would be idle during the night and during the working hours with reasonable currents, so charging the batteries is not a problem.

For long distance travel, either some fuel cell or gas turbine or constant speed diesel auxiliary power would be required, unless batteries are developed, that can accept a full charge during a 10 minute coffe/toilet break at a service station.

A standard 3 phase 16A@400V outlet can provide 1.8 kWh in 10 minutes and from a 1500 DC (the maximum IEC low voltage limit) at 50 A (the practical limit for a flexible cable) would provide 12.5 kWh in 10 minutes.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

One being shipped back to where it can be used.

One battery prices them out of existence.

Reply to
krw

That's not how practical use of electric or hybrid vehicles is expected to be maintained. Charging is presently a longer-term activity undertaken when the vehicle is either not in use, or when activity does not require full capacity of internal generation (...of the hybrid).

There is some speculation that hybrid vehicles might even contribute their surplus capacity profitably to the grid. 'Fueling' such vehicles might more closely resemble current methods.

Different coupling methods for energy transfer have been considered, including 'contact-free' versions. Obviously the hardware has to be suited to the voltage, current and power levels required, and the type of vehicle to it's intended application.

RL

Reply to
legg

Don't waste your time, John. It's another troll.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

Admittedly, it's got some gotchas - like, how many different mounting schemes will there be for a half-ton battery rack? The exchange stations' inventory would cost a king's ransom, and there's schlepping them (the battery packs) around from the rack to the car, and from the car to the charger, and from the charger to inventory, that sort of thing.

But figure out a way to make a profit at it, and the world will beat a path to your door. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Cynic. ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

John, in the ranks of troll baiters, I'd give you a rating of master. ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, that'd be a Doe John, or in military parlance, John, Doe, 1 each. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Is John Doe a place where female deer go to relieve themselves?

John