Charge control for piezo drives

On vacation and reading AoE3 at the beach. (watching all the "bathing" women too!) Section 5.10.12 does a composite piezo drive. I was most interested by footnote 46, pg. 333

Here's a link,

I'll have to look up the references later. Has anyone done this? It seems besides the shown circuit, I'd also need some DC gain feedback too.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I've thought about it, but the fly in the ointment is the low frequency response. I haven't used piezo actuators in a design for some years, but IIRC the main win was to notch out the lowest resonance (f_res) with an LC filter. That allowed the loop bandwidth to increase from 0.02 f_res to 0.25 f_res, even though the resonance had a Q of about 30.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

DC-wise (1 - 10Hz) piezo's have lots of hysteresis. It would be nice to get rid of some of that.

I think to make the above work I'd have to split the frequency response.. it needs some DC feedback below

0.1 Hz.

At "high" frequencies (100-1kHz) voltage drive seems just fine. (I can lock the laser to the sides of spectra.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It might be fun to add a high frequency voltage to the piezo drive to maybe shake up the hysteresis.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I agree. Long ago when I was a post-doc, I was trying to make attractive-mode atomic- and magnetic-force microscopes using resonant cantilevers made of tungsten or nickel wire, electro-etched down to a few microns' diameter (with tips that were atomically sharp or very nearly, also courtesy of electro-etching).

The cantilevers were mounted on small PZT bimorphs, which supplied both the Z actuation and the AC tip excitation to make the cantilevers vibrate.

Even the best material (PZT-5A iirc) had ~1% hysteresis, and the high sensitivity stuff (PZT-5H) was much worse. So I feel your pain.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

If you have position feedback you could use charge control for the inner loop, with position for the outer.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Oh no real pain. I drive it with a triangle wave and that's just fine except right near the ends.

I thought the idea of charge control was interesting.

The piezo I use is a multilayer thing from NEC/tolkin If not the same as the one referenced in AoE3 then it's smaller sister.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yeah, This is in a diode laser system, and when I lock the laser (via the piezo) to the side of an atomic absorption line then just voltage control works fine.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Would stochastic noise help?

Reply to
Bob R

The hysteresis is pretty big. Maybe 5-10% I think it would have to be a large voltage swing. (ditto for Bob R's noise voltage.) Cure is worse than the disease,

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Piezo hysteresis resembles a B-H curve rather than, say backlash in a gear train. That makes it pretty benign unless you're trying to use it for a position readout.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs