CFLs.... are they efficient ?

Depends on what one. I am reading the label on a jar of Canderel. 380 kcal per 100g. This is essentially, the same as ordinary sugar. However it states

0.5g for a teaspoon, a teaspoon of sugar is about 4g. So, the saving in calories is due to less weight.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

and in looking up some data on my other post here on your lower cal claim, this just cropped up.

So, after cutting out 40 grams of sugar a day for several years he tried an experiment of reintroducing it. To wit:

"...It's fair to say there was a spike in interest when I put on three kilograms in just 12 days. But the real alarm sounded when I had developed fatty liver disease after just 18 days... "

More denial ?

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

The distinction is between the terms "calorie-free sugar substitutes" (e.g. sucralose, saccharin) and "sugar substitutes" (e.g. aspartame, Stevia)

So I'm technically incorrect for writing " 'zero calorie' soda sweetner" rather than " 'zero calorie soda' sweetner", though the latter meaning is what I had in mind.

Reply to
bitrex

Okay, so "calorie-free" artificial sweeteners/sugar substitutes don't contain dietary calories, as the name "calorie-free sugar substitute" implies.

There are also just "sugar substitutes", which do contain dietary calories.

A soft drink may contain either a calorie-free sugar substitute, or a non-calorie-free sugar substitute, or some combination, and still be called per the FDA a "calorie-free soda" if it has fewer than SOMENUM dietary calories, including bulking agents to calorie-free sugar substitutes.

Everybody clear, now?

Reply to
bitrex

PS: NERDSSSSSSS

Reply to
bitrex

Or that you have no experience with CFLS.

:-)

Reply to
Andy

I mean, I thought that was obvious enough on a newsgroup like sci.*, but suit yourself :-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

-------------------------

nts.

ed.

d.

** CFL lamps generate considerable heat from the filaments, some more than others as higher filament temp increases brightness and reduces warm up tim e.

CFLs intended for low duty cycle use (ie shops and restaurants) can have wa rm up times measured in minutes (eg Philips Ambiance).

The main thing is having enough air flow around the base of the CFL for con vection cooling to work. Lamp fixtures that are considered OK for incandesc ent lamps of various wattage ratings mostly do NOT allow enough cool air fl ow for CFLs - resulting in overheating and short life.

IME, it is common to have to wait a few minutes after switching off a CFL b efore it is comfortable to remove the lamp from the fitting.

The base of a 22watt spiral CFL in poorly cooled fitting might easily reach 100 degress C.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison