Ceres

This is pretty radical:

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing laser drivers and controllers

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com

Ice-mirror? Or maybe just a frost-field?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Evidently Arthur C. Clarke was wrong and the monoliths are white. That or a careless UFO driver has been caught out in the open.

The full article is at:

My money would be on it being a frost deposit of some sort. The probe is still closing in so we can expect better pictures to follow.

What is clear is that these minor planets are potentially more geologically interesting than was first thought.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Death Star powering up to blast the probe.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Disneyland Ceres.

Here's the official site:

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Maybe the US Navy should start resurrecting the USS Missouri

*now!*
Reply to
Pimpom

590 mile diameter? How is that even a planet...bright spot is probably glass.
Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Or maybe ice of some sort.

The sun angle looks low; the bright spots are practically inside the crater shadow. Should be interesting.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

xkcd.com/1476/

Bye Jack

--
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?
Reply to

It was the first new body discovered after the 7 known planets of ancient times.

The Apollo booster upper stages did not return to earth. Nobody kept track of where they went.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

You can't be Ceres-ous!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The 7th planet (Uranus) was discovered in the 18th century.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Stuck in Plano after an ice storm that we wouldn't even notice in NY--there's only one sander truck in the entire great state of Texas)

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

  1. Your comment about sander trucks is false, probably due to your lack of knowledge.
  2. Since you wouldn't notice the ice storm, get your ass out there and get yourself gone from Plano. We will appreciate that, considering your disrespect for not only Texas, but Plano as well. You expect to be catered to everywhere you go? You deserve no respect.
Reply to
John S

Looks like one of those mall-centric places where people get stuck in traff ic jams going to work, shopping at the mall, then going home to their tract home to "exist" for the remainder of the day. This cycle repeats day in an d day out, day in and day out, day in and day out...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Obviously, you also have no idea of the living conditions here. By "looks like", do you mean you live here? If so, you are invited to leave as well.

Reply to
John S

Where do you live, Fred? Is it nice? Is every day a new adventure?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That little bit of ice getting you down, John?

It's sort of cute the way everybody south of about Kansas gets all in a flutter about a bit of ice, as though winter were a novelty. In the Northeast they just plough, salt, and sand the daylights out of it and life goes on pretty well normally. Atlanta has one of the busiest airports in the world, and they get shut down probably 2 days per year for what (by NE USA standards) is a tiny bit of snow. The cost of that is *astronomical*.

It seems as though nobody has done the math as to what losing a day or two's worth of everybody's work per year actually costs. A few thousand sander trucks would be *cheap* by comparison. (Maybe they're worried that their drivers wouldn't get enough practice, so they'd be a bit of a menace to navigation.)

Hope you feel better soon!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The place is a wasteland and tenement disguised as some kind of progress, it's thoroughly revolting.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Yes, but that's normal down here where we don't normally have worry about salt degrading our cars and other things. Winter is not a novelty, but ice and snow are, thank goodness.

Yes, and even though you have all that equipment, salt, and personnel to deal with it, you still have the penalty of the *astronomical* costs.

I think maybe they have. That's why, given our climate, it is not prudent to provide salt, sand and plows just for your unwelcome visit.

I feel file. It is you who is bitchy about our weather. Go home soon.

Reply to
John S

affic jams going to work, shopping at the mall, then going home to their tr act home to "exist" for the remainder of the day. This cycle repeats day in and day out, day in and day out, day in and day out...

Looks like the Russians know how to make winter driving an adventure:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred