ceramic resistor and capacitor array strength

Hi,

Are ceramic resistor and capacitor networks reliable enough to use for board design compared to other SMT components? I am wondering if I should use them to replace multiple 0402 package resistors and capacitors.

Digikey has parts with up to 32 resistors in 1 chip. (search "resistor networks") and the board I am working on has several hundred resistors so it would be nice to use them if they are reliable for oven soldering and don't crack randomly in the future.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Morken

I've used R-packs in SIP (single in-line packages), and never had a reliability problem - I don't know why SMT would perform any less well, unless there's a thermal problem of some kind; SIP and DIP leads have some give - but I can't imagine multiple resistors in a package being any worse than a pile of individual SMT resistors.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I am using 8 resistor pack from CTS part number 742C163473JTR. Soldered manually never gave me any problems on about 100 boards.

--

    Boris Mohar
Reply to

The issue will be cost of parts versus the cost of assembly...

Reply to
martin.shoebridge

I'm agree with this, where assembly means also cost of the routing and higher complexity than using separate parts (except if it's not a bus terminator).

greetings, Vasile

Reply to
vasile