Cell phone number errors

I tried several times to dial a number from my cell phone tonight that was given to me, each time it came up with a number that does not exist. Finally, the party called me and I explain this to them, they assured me it was correct and had some one there call it with their cell phone and it worked. So I grabbed my wife's phone, and that too, won't make a connection. I am a Verison customer and the other party I think is a AT&T customer. Is there some know problem with phone numbers coming up brain dead to some services?

P.S.

I also tried my house phone which is with AT&T, same problem but Like I said, they had some one in their home dial the number and it worked. so, go fing.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Try a one (1) in front of the number.

Reply to
tm

red

tomer.

but

While I doubt that system updates take any appreciable time nowadays, your problem reminded me of a similar problem I once had: Back in the

70s I could not dial some new phone numbers from work. The explanation was that the new exchanges had to be programmed into the PBX. Dialing from home, I had no difficulty, presumably becase the CO recognized the existence of the new exchanges.
Reply to
spamtrap1888

Pay your phone bills? Check to make sure that you don't have a brain tumor scrambling your language centers?

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Voted best answer! Woo hoo!

Reply to
John S

They forgot to give you a part of their number? The bit at the start that means AT&T.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Forgot the area code?

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

It was wired with 'The original Brand Rex' wire?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

At least in the US, cellphones don't need +1 before the area code. ...Jim Thompson

Problem solved.//

She has one of those dual phone systems with 2 numbers. One is a general purpose number that she pays her self and is full access the other number is paid by the business and that is how they get directly connected with her or any one else on that same service. That service requires a list of numbers that are acceptable. She happens to have her family members on that list so they can call either number.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Hmm, with a come back like that, I wonder how your health is lately? Mental health that is.

It just so happens the problem was an incorrect phone number, even though the number that was given to me was valid. It was a secondary number used for the business and business members only and needs to have my number added before it'll work. The full access number worked just fine and goes to the same phone, the difference is, she pays that part of the bill.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Actually, I lost both my father and my favorite uncle (his brother) to gliomas. Both of them, as the tumors were eating their brains, would lose distinct portions of their skills, one by one.

For my uncle, one of the first overt signs of neural degradation was that he lost individual letters of the alphabet.

For my father (much to his disgust), he lost the ability to recognize numerals, and with it the ability to have any sense of what time of day it was.

Both of them went on to lose other abilities -- one of the characteristics of glial cells is that they provide the framework on which neurons are supported, so they tend to have a long, filamentary character. Gliomas corrupt this into having a growth habit of growing long, hair-like fibers through the sufferer's brain that essentially short-circuit and destroy the neurons in their paths. So when one has a glioma one gets to enjoy having ones mental abilities steadily deteriorate over the course of a year or so, with pretty much nothing available to stand in the way.

I wasn't so close to my uncle in his last few months, but I know that my father experienced loss of vision in patches, with patches occasionally coming back in the wrong places in his visual field.

So I have experience with that sort of thing that comes much closer than I ever wanted it to.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Sorry to hear about your family members departing in such a way. At least you know how they past, for me, I lost my mother on New Years eve and they really don't know what she died of? Even though she made frequent doctor and hospital visits, the only thing she ever complained about was a pain in her stomach. However, they never found anything?

She just slowly got weaker as the days went on and finally when her fingers and toes started curly up and she wasn't eating, I guess that was when they called the family.

I wasn't there when she actually past, mainly because I was informed of her condition kind of late. You see I live 350 miles from where she was.

For all you spooks, earlier that day before I had any news of this, at exactly 2:45 PM, what the clock on my stove said, I got very agitated for some unknown reason and just could not make up my mind what I wanted to do. So I jumped in my Jeep and took a ride to the pet store to get some food for my dog. Later after chinese that night, I got the call and her passing time was at 2:45 PM. Kind of strange, taint it? ;)

All she wanted to know just prior to her passing was to make sure they had called me. Shortly after, she was gone. The other strange part to this is how she was talking about some long past family member telling her it was ok. That is weird, too.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

On Jul 3, 4:05=A0pm, Tim Wescott wrote: [...]

It sounds like the brain was attempting to "rewire" around the damage but got the intended location wrong in the process.

Very sad stories but that detail is intriguing.

All of us have a central blind spot right in front of us, but our brain fills it in so we never conciously see it. Some peripheral vision seems to be similarly reassembled subconciously.

It's tempting to reverse anthropomorphize your father's rewired visual patches to see the symptom in terms of an electronic system, except self repairing systems aren't very common, at least not yet.

There are so many kinds of organic failures and diseases conspiring to end our lives that it's incredible to me how many people make it to their 90's with their wits intact.

If you reverse anthropomorphize our entire body the level of complexity would reach a point that the expected failure rate would approach 100%. We are totally at the mercy of the self-repair functions in our body.

The practice of medicine is still pathetic and primitive compared to the complexity of our body.

Condolences, Mr. Wescott.

Reply to
Greegor

My brother had a series of strokes about ten years ago. In the process of the brain rewiring itself, the nerve that serves the right side of his body got "confused" with the one to his heart. If he's bumped on his right side, he drops to the floor, unconscious. He has had a pacemaker-defibrillator put in, which helps, but it still ruins his day.

You can see it but, yes, the brain attempts to fill in that space using information from the other eye. There is a reason the spot isn't centered, too.

Redundancy is. ECC is, in a way, "self healing". Memory arrays often are "self healing", as well. Telephone networks? There are many examples of "self" healing electronic systems.

There are *so* many people. ;-)

Well, it's pretty obvious that without an immune system we couldn't survive.

I think it's rather amazing what's already been accomplished and it's accelerating (if Obamacare doesn't kill advancements completely). Indeed, I think it's rather amazing that any drugs work without poisoning the host.

Agreed.

Reply to
krw

I can't put my finger on the article (I think it was in IEEE Spectrum a decade or more ago), but at one points some reliability engineers did a study on death rates in humans at various ages.

They tried fitting various curves to the available data, and nothing did until they started with the assumption of a massively redundant system that starts from day 1 with a number of pre-existing failures -- then they quickly got the curves to fit exactly.

It's a powerful result, and intuitively obvious when you think about it.

Yea verily. If you're a Trekkie, think back to "The City on the Edge of Forever", and remember McCoy's comment about 20th century medicine.

It's been long enough that the pain is a memory, and both my father and my uncle spent very little time in the really gruesome part at the end where you're at the mercy of your caregivers and an increasingly-failing body.

I'd much rather have that happen to me than to get whacked in the head tomorrow and spend the next 40 years drooling in an institution somewhere.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

ems

.

True, that would be the ultimate nightmare.

Reply to
Greegor

brain

seems

self

complexity

100%.

=20

the

=20

=20

somewhere.

Well understood. My family has always been about reasonable quality of life of life instead of maximum extension of life.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk