Cell phone booster?

Oops 2.0. So much for my photographic memory. I've made that mistake many times and can't seem to recall the correct acronym expansion when needed. Memory fault, brain damage, old age, insanity, or something.

I'm on Page Plus Cellular, now part of TracFone Wireless.

One of my customers has a Verizon 3G network extender (femtocell) box in her office: Until just recently, I had no problems using it with a Page Plus phone. About 2 weeks ago, I updated my PRL (preferred roaming list) and Verizon femtocell service stopped working. I now get a vague "Cannot complete your call as dialed" error message. When I called Verizon, they wouldn't talk to me because I'm not a VZW customer. When I did an online chat with Page Plus, they said that they don't support Verizon femtocell service and claimed that they could not answer my questions. Some random Googling did not find any MVNO operators that offer femtocell devices. It would appear that it shouldn't have worked.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The company I work for actually installs e-Femtocells for Verizon. Let me ask the Verizon RAN Engieers what the real deal is with this and I'l l let you know by P/M.

I need to talk with them anyway as I have a Galaxy S5 phone that suffers a similar problem to what you've describe: Whenever I go into certain Walmar t stores (having eFemto's), my phone will lose its network connection entir ely (no bars, no service). The real problem is that when I leave the store , the handset does not recover. It will not re-acquire the network until I either reset the phone (i.e., power down or reset), or enter and then leav e "airplane mode". Not a big deal, except that I forget to do it for hours on end...

I suspect the phone is no longer receiving (or understanding) the PRL. I am a Verizon customer so there's no reason the Verizon eFemto at Walmart should not provide service.

Oh, and I should probably mention that I no longer "update" Android. That "could" be part of the problem, but I don't think so. My phone is so old t hat I somewhat doubt the updates really do anything for me anyway. (?)

Reply to
mpm