CE compliance testing in the UK

Does anybody have details for a CE standards testing facility in the UK. Preferably a reasonably priced one. I am looking to get a number of small batteries tested before beginning to import them. Does anybody have a guide price for this type of work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am way out of my depth with this.

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
themanwhocan

You just want to import batteries ?

I'm not aware of any regulation requiring CE marking for these. I've never seen CE marked batteries.

You may need to comply with regulations requiring elimation of hazardous substances like mercury and cadmium for example - see RoHS legislation ( restriction of hazardous substances ) but this has been deemed not to be a CE marking issue.

Farnell has sent me some good info on RoHS btw so I'd go check their website.

Grham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I read in sci.electronics.design that themanwhocan wrote (in ) about 'CE compliance testing in the UK', on Mon, 31 Jan 2005:

You need a lot more advice than can be given on a newsgroup. Contact me at jmwX [at] jmwaX [dot] demon[dot] co[dot] uk omitting the two Xs, for limited free advice. If you don't contact me today, you won't get a reply before Friday at the earliest.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Ok... Few batteries nearest me. CR2032 - none. NEC E313 lithium battery - has. Sagem MX10 - has. AA/AAA/PP3 - none.

Rechargable lithium only?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Lead acid batteries also carry CE approvals. Worth being aware, that some equipment does not need CE marking, if is 'already certified as conforming to the appropriate CE directives'. Quite a few products avoided the need for a seperate CE approval this way. My suspicion would be though, that batteries are largely exempt, unless they bear the possibility of explosion/rupture. Looking at the list of approach directives for CE I cannot see one that would cover batteries in general.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

I couldn't find anything about CE marking for lithium, or any other, batteries on the Directives part of EU web site. The search engine is very strange, though; it doesn't like technical words at all and prefers nice comforting political ones.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Nothing much to do with the previous part of this thread but will Pb-acid and/or NiCad batteries be acceptable in the UK/Europe after the end of this year even if they are currently being supplied in equipment as standard.?

Reply to
R.Lewis

I read in sci.electronics.design that martin griffith wrote (in ) about 'CE compliance testing in the UK', on Mon, 31 Jan

2005:

The Commission's ITE people notoriously go in for 100-character URLs. Her is one that is manageable:

If you think they are worth printing.

What I mean is that you put 'lithium battery' into the search engine and you get 10000 articles on rural development initiatives in Portugal or economic considerations in beef production.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that R.Lewis wrote (in ) about 'CE compliance testing in the UK', on Mon, 31 Jan 2005:

Yes. It's recognized that at present it's not possible to stop using lead and cadmium in batteries.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Hi John, whats the URL ? And can we use the sites "political words" in CE conformity statements? It might be cheaper than testing

martin

Serious error. All shortcuts have disappeared. Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Reply to
martin griffith

Remember that any lithium rechargeable is likely to contain at least some electronics for pack protection, and maybe also charge control/metering, and so could in principle be within the scope of the EMC directive, although maybe it would be classed as a component and outside the scope....

Reply to
Mike Harrison

I read in sci.electronics.design that Mike Harrison wrote (in ) about 'CE compliance testing in the UK', on Mon, 31 Jan 2005:

That seems to be a very grey area. The OP didn't say whether there were any electronics involved. If there is, I'll ask a minor deity in the EMC world for an opinion. The battery by itself doesn't have the electronics energised, so my view is that the electronics is effectively part of the product in which the battery is installed to be charged.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

In many cases this isn't true. Especially with multi-cell batteries, it's usual for some part of the electronics to be energised.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I read in sci.electronics.design that Ian Stirling wrote (in ) about 'CE compliance testing in the UK', on Tue, 1 Feb 2005:

Doesn't that discharge the battery? What is it that's energised? If it's electromagnetically benign, it doesn't matter.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Yes. However. The battery already self-discharges at maybe 30%/year. For a 3Ah battery, this is 1Ah/year, or as a year is about 30Ms, that's

30na. Plenty for a small SRAM to keep its contents.

In some cases, there is also a processor/RAM and ROM in there too, as well as a crystal/... that's turned on when plugged in.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Somewhat hilariously - such use of hazardous substances in vast quantities is deemed acceptable since there is no practical alternative !

The tiny quantity of lead in electronic goods is however deemed to be unacceptable.

Therefore an entirely new 'industry' has grown up to promote lead free soldering.

Lead free soldering isn't without its problems such as tin whiskering..

One simply hopes that the solder suppliers will fix it and hopefully the components will survive the extra 50C during the soldering process !!!!!

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Even the plating on TSSOP legs. We still get our water through lead pipes on the company supply side, not really worried though as it coated over and became harmless about 50 years ago.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

The difference is that lead in a car battery is easily identifiable and readily recyclable. How do you get the lead out of a mobile phone ?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

readily recyclable.

I think just the *edges* of them have leading. Or something.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

readily recyclable.

Mobile phones don't have any lead, that's why they are called mobile.

Reply to
Ian Stirling