Carbon Black

Anyone know where carbon black is sold? So far, all I've found is Google's Chinese advertizers and some that's been treated for pigment use.

Hul

Reply to
Hul Tytus

onsdag den 27. februar 2019 kl. 22.30.44 UTC+1 skrev Hul Tytus:

google says,

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in news:925dc2da- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Do you just want that to make an emissive surface?

Look into VantaBlack too. They have to be producing processed surfaces by now.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Purpose is to mix with, probably, polyurethane resin to make some pressure sensitive resisters. There's no concern regarding emissions, hopefully.

Hul

snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

I'm sure you have your reasons, but just in case, force sensing resistors are readily available.

[I had been meaning to buy (what used to be) a conventional safety razor for a while, having used disposable cartridge types for years. My usual twin blade supply was discontinued, and I'm not prepared to use the replacement five blade cartridges. Five blades on something which grows continuously. Fuck that shit.

When I eventually got around to it, in the course of my Googling I discovered that there were strange very long handled extra wide razors available for shaving one's back. I had never heard of (or wanted) such a thing.

So just maybe these pressure sensitive resistors are equivalent to back-shaving razors.]

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Carbon black is intended to be used as a pigment.

You should be able to buy it in small amounts from anyone that sells hobby plastic casting resins - eg. Amazon. You may actually want graphite dust judging by your intended use further down the thread.

You could make your own from a 3B pencil in that case or from crushed charcoal if you don't really care about reproducibility.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Graphite powder is sold as a lubricant for locks. Try that.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Back in the day we used aquadag as a thermal IR absorber.. it's water based and not a 'hard' coating.

I see nothing online that isn't way too spendy,

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

For carbon-microphone type sensors, graphite is what you'd want; carbon black is buckyballs, has very different electric conduction.

Rather than mixing with liquid resin, one usually wants to sinter a powder mix: the urethane might cure/outgas/age poorly, and that means sensor drift.

Reply to
whit3rd

Clifford Heath wrote in news:X_EdE.20690$ snipped-for-privacy@fx38.iad:

Silvery and viscous like slick. Not black, but perhaps a good choice for this app, since it is conductive. I guess it depends if the individual particles meld/glom together.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Cement black colouring powder is carbon black IIRC. Pencils are graphite and clay and who knows what else. Might work for you. Charcoal briquettes are mostly nonconductive.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

if you only want a tiny amount of C, a candle flame on a cold surface can deliver.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

For a small experiment is there nothing like this on offer in the US?

Price per gram is ludicrous really but a little goes a long way.

BTW OP should beware of handling TDI if they intend to make their own flexible PU foam as it is a quite serious respiratory sensitiser.

They may be better off seeing if antistatic foam will do what they want.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

You can find "milled carbon fiber powder conductive" on Ali in

50um/75um/150um/300um for around $50-65/1 kg. USD.

--Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
speff

I'll try looking for "graphite powder". That may work better on Google's.

Hul

Clifford Heath wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

A candle might work but it'd be hyper slow even for ounces.

Hul

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Martin - carbon black sold as a pigment is usually treated to diffuse in paints or resins. Unfortunantly, that treatment renders the powder nonconductive.

Hul

Mart> > > >> Anyone know where carbon black is sold? So far, all I've found is

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Thanks Spehro. I'll take a look.

Hul