Canon Bubble-jet printers

I am interested in obtaining a working Canon BJC printer, series 4000 preferred. Please contact me if you can help.

Thanks. R. Baer

Reply to
Robert Baer

Found one listed at eBay:

Found one listed at Amazon:

First contact the sellers to make sure they are selling a working

*printer* and not a non-working printer for parts.
Reply to
VanguardLH

Thanks.

The Amazon listing clearly states "for parts". At the price requested, that is a no-go. Ebay listing said it was functional when taken offline, but not (recently) tested. Seller gives NO warrantee and refuses return. Furthermore shipping is $50, and the e-Bay "moneyback guarantee" is less useful that mammary appendages on a boar hog of male persuasion.

From personal experiences, e-bay is less trustworthy than Miz Clinton.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Depends on to where you have it shipped. It would be $36 to me. Does seem high but then this is probably a one-off sale, non-commercial shippers often require double boxing for these items, it's bulky and they rate on dimensions. Since you know something about this printer since you asked specifically for this one, you should know how much it weighs and its dimensions, and then add to the dimensions for bubble packing, and check the shipping cost at USPS and UPS Ground. Then you'll know if the shipping charge is excessive. You make it sound like shipping is high but the cost may be reasonable depending on where they are, where you are, and how it is being shipped.

Also, some sellers will have a low price but overcharge on shipping. If you find the shipping from the seller to you is excessive, report it to eBay. They may kill the auction and the seller will realize they can get banned for this practice. I've done that several times.

I noticed the seller is foolishly using USPS Priority Mail. There is no reason this item needs to be shipped in 2 days to you. Priority Mail is very expensive, especially for large items. It's pricey for small items. Contact the seller and ask what the price would be for USPS Ground or UPS Ground.

When I went to USPS.com, put in the dimensions of the printer (and added

3 inches in each dimension for bubble packing) and the weight (at 10 pounds which is a couple pounds more than just the printer), USPS Priority Mail would be $91 to me from the seller. USPS Retail Ground was $29. I didn't bother checking with UPS Ground. Go check for yourself what shipping might cost. You won't get the business rate of a trucking company delivering a pallet of a hundred printers.

I've used the eBay Buyer protection about half a dozen times. It has been helpful with buyers that don't respond, buyers that have disappeared, or when I can show my case to eBay that the buyer misrepresented their item. In fact, eBay has effected the Buyer Protection when I didn't even know I needed it. A seller had sold off instances of a volume license which is illegal. They refunded me before I knew there was a problem. Likely someone else reported the illegal or pirated copies, so eBay refunded all buyers from that seller (and they kicked off the seller).

As is any online e-tail site. When have you ever been absolutely sure of anything you buy online? I don't get that even with Newegg or Walmart. It's caveat emptor: you have to do some research, not just grab stuff on impulse. I've bought 20+ CR-2032 coin cell batteries twice from eBay; however, I researched online what the retail packaging should look like to compare against what the seller shows. And I've not had a problem using eBay's Buyer Protection -- as you claim you have (but your description makes it sound like you got screwed once and made an assumption that would always be the case). I've bought many items from eBay sellers and been generally pleased with most transactions. Yes, there have been a few bad ones, but I've also gotten bad produce from my local grocer. Nothing's perfect.

I'm curious. Why do you want and old, used, and worn but working printer when you could get a new one and probebly with more features? What does buying an unsupported and used printer get you that you cannot get with a new printer? Unless you find a local seller to eliminate the shipping cost, finding the old printer elsewhere means you do get stuck with shipping charges. You're stuck with using Craigslist or other resale sites for local sellers (and no one here knows where you are). The problem with the vast majority of Craigslist sellers is that they are way too attached to their wares and overprice them. They'll want

90% of the new price for a used item but without the mfr warranty. Craiglist often includes a large metro and its suburbs, and the driving and gas will cost you lots of time and some gas money for a local pickup

-- unless you add your city or suburb and some of the surrounding suburbs in your search or use their miles-from-zipcode filter to reduce the distance for a "local" pickup. I found some Canon inkjets being sold at Craigslist but that's irrelevant to you since I cannot search the site for your area. There was a separate domain for eBay for local-only auctions

I never had any luck with that site: not much to choose from. They got rid of it (ebayclassifieds.com redirects to ebay.com); also see

For about $5 to $10 more than just the shipping cost to me for the used eBay printer, I can get a new Canon inkjet printer from Walmart and have it shipped free to me (total sale must be $35, or more, so the new cheap inkjet printer and a set of spare cartridges would exceed that). If there's a problem, well, there are local Walmarts where I can return the item rather than paying to ship it back.

Is it that the BJC 4000/4300 printer has a straight paper path? That is, you don't want the "paper" to get bent going through the printer? There are lots of straight feed printers, like for those that want to print on cardstock. From the online pics that I've seen for the Canon BJC-4300, it has less bend then inkjets that siphon out of a underside storage tray but it was still not a straight-feed printer (there was still some bending). I saw one guy in a forum finding the Canon 9000 worked for printing on 1/32" balsa. Several used ones are listed at eBay (the new ones are much more expensive). That user thought the Epson 3800 for work for him, too. New (unused, not refurbished) straight-feed printers seem expensive. Rear-feed printers albeit not truly straight-feed, like your Canon BJC-4300, might also work for your unspecified usage and are cheaper, like $35 (see

and

VanguardLH

I have been screwed to many times on e-Bay, both as a buyer and as a seller. The e-Bay "watchdogs" always screw me even when i have incontrovertible proof of my position (eg: Sony DVD R/W actually over 2 lbs instead "only a few ounces", and actual cost of shipping about $20 instead of $1). The particular seller said "no returns" and did not own up to actual condition. Not worth the total hassle even if was free.

I have a number of ink cartridges for the BC 4100; cartridges for the newer printers are as expensive or more and AFAIK cannot be refilled. Furthermore,one cannot do a DOS print (you know, COPY TextFile.TXT LPT1:). Oh,yes..a number of those fancy printers do not work if the color cartridge is missing or empty.

Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote in news:I6pgE.52473 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx11.iad:

Yes.

Come back when refill ink is cheap, because right now it is not.

You must be trolling. The cartridges do not last for years, and the jet nozzles even get clogged.

Yer an idiot. I can get thousands of print jobs from one laser cartridge. I am certain that you do not get such a print job count from an ink cartridge. The only jet printers doing that are the large format jobs that cost thousands of dollars.

un-bright? Ummm... You, child. You failed to think it through.

Oh and then there is that fade issue too. Jet printers lose their color corretness 10 seconds after the print job finishes and from there forward it is an ever changing color gamut on the paper from one day to the next. Zero color fixation quality.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

If you don't want to pay for shipping, you're stuck looking for a local seller -- and it highly unlikely anyone in Usenet will be within 30 miles of your location and with a working Canon BJC 4xxx printer and who will guarantee its functionality.

If online local sales/auction sites don't pan out, you might have salvage or refurbish or recycling centers for electronics or computers that might have the old printer. I've found swap meets are mostly for foraging for old junk that you might utilize but not if you are looking for something specific. Even if you don't find what you want on the online auction sites, some let you advertise as "wanted", like Craigslist; i.e., you post as a buyer trying to find a seller. I've never posted "wanted" ads at Craigslist, so I have no clue as to how successful those are.

I doubt the Canon cartridges are usable in only 1 or 2 models of their printers. Have you done the reverse by looking up the cartridges to see in which models they fit? After finding the model number of the cartridges for the BCJ-4100, look up the cartridge models to see in what printers they fit. For example, in a Google search on "canon bjc-4100 cartridge", I found:

(never bought from there, just the 1st hit in the search)

That listed the Canon BCI121Bk black cartridge. I then clicked on the link to the cartridge which took me to:

In their web page for that product, they have a slew (30) of compatible printers listed. I never keep a large inventory of spare inkjet cartridges because they go bad over time, and I replace them at about

1-year intervals because I do so little printing. I only keep 1 set (black + color) on hand for immediate swapping when the current set gets empty. I don't know how many is "a number"; however, looks like you can use them in more than just the BJC-4100 printer.

Please turn off Avast's spam, especially since it is NOT a valid signature block.

Reply to
VanguardLH

Reverse engineered cartridge chips for the BJ5000 series and refills have been available for at least 5 years now. Unless you really need backwards compatibility with some antique geriatric computer that is probably about to fail horribly anyway it might be worth picking a newer Canon printer model still available second hand but less decrepit.

I chose iX6550 for A3+ and an almost straight paper path and MG5350 as a stand alone multifunction. Laser printer takes most of the daily grind. The inkjets are handy for quick high quality colour prints and larger posters sizes (and printing onto thicker materials like thick card). Both take exactly the same 525 & 526 series cartridges.

Some refilling sites explain how to use older cartridges in newer printers (not for the faint hearted). I just use clone cartridges.

Duplex monochrome laser is hard to beat as a workhorse. It really depends critically on what your monthly print volume is as to which solution is the best one. Inkjets consume ink each time you switch them on from cold and if you leave them to dry out periodically then a full cleaning cycle really does use a lot of ink to no good end. By comparison a laser printer will work first time after months unused.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

  • How about a laser printer, abandoned after almost no use (still had starter cartridge),left to the elements (rained a few nights), set to dry in house 3 days and work 100% FIRST TIME thereafter? 3 months later, tried again and STILL WORKS OK.

Do you not hate reliable stuff? How does one support a throw-away "economy"???

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have a Cannon BJ-10ex here (South West Scotland). Hasn't been used for very many years - not tested.

Free any time you're passing by.

MK

https://www.avg.com
Reply to
Michael Kellett

I very much appreciate the offer, and the price is commensurate to the estimated functionality. However, i do not swim that far (am in the US) and refuse to get near the unconstitutional Airline Gestapo here.

Robert Baer

In another part of this thread I referenced a comparison between office multifunction (copier/printer/scanner) lasers and an Epson 'large tank" inkjet model. As part of the test, the Epson was orderly shutdown/powered of, left in storage for 2 months, and worked immediately after that. I don't think they tested for rain...

For all the inkjets I used (mostly Canon), I never had that problem that after proper shutdown it wouldn't work.

Mat Nieuwenhoven

Reply to
Mat Nieuwenhoven

lack of watermarking

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Good for counterfeiting or printing threatening letters. Be careful about postmarks and fingerprints and DNA and your mother seeing what you're doing.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Friday, 8 March 2019 12:14:48 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote :

Consumables cost varies hugely depending on what you buy. I used to get bag s of inkjet refills for 20p - 33p a box, and each box did at least 2 refill s, so about 6-10 refills for a buck. They were refills for obsolete models, of course the ink worked fine on lots of other machines too. Last time we bought laser toner it was a sackful, if you use enough of it it's far cheap er than any inkjet.

Back when I ran dot matrices & daisy wheel I got a suitcase of ribbons for obsolete models for nowt - many fitted what I was using once rewound. Also fitted reinkers & used paraffin & oil based ink, but learnt not to push tha t one too far, eventually the ribbon wears to the point that it trashes the print head. 24pin are much less robust than 9 pin.

Even for low volume users, the big downside of inkjet is reliability, the l ack thereof. Yes they run for a while, but by the time I got rid of the las t one I'd really had enough. Never again.

Oh, you can also make your own inkjet ink. IIRC water, alcohol & 100% dye p owder for most machines. You won't get anywhere near colour matching that w ay, but it's fine for many non-photo jobs. Violet ink is cheapest but fades severely due to light. The general rule of thumb when making black or brow n is to mix differing dye colours to get best density for a fraction of the cost of just black or brown dye.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Back when we had Canon inkjets they made cartridges under other numbers for other models that would also fit the printers we had. But they didn't list them as fitting them :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

A quarter of a penny or two cents. Wow... big whoop. I'll take the better quality and higher longevity any day.

I pay for better coffee too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:30af874f-1d57-4624-b948- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

who has made that claim?

That is higher count than image arrays in cameras.

I don't think so. The paper surface quality and absorption alone (even on the best stock) would not allow that level.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

ISTR there was some printer manufacturer that uniquely marked every sheet with a few single yellow pixels dotted around. You wouldn't notice them unless you were specifically looking. Not quite sure what the idea behind it was except in very general terms.

Cursitor Doom

lunatic fringe electronics