Californica solar requirements screw all...

It's appeared on other news sites. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Are you allowed to only hate one or two states?

Coasties avoid all "flyover states" and everyone in them. That's part of the problem.

Reply to
krw

The writing was on the wall a lot further back than that. It's been the most crooked state in the union since the '50s.

Reply to
krw

Air conditioners? Heathen!

Reply to
krw

My electric bill isn't too much more than that and we have real weather.

Reply to
krw

Clifford Heath wrote on 7/17/2017 8:39 PM:

I'm not sure that better storage is needed, at least for residential solar. Rooftop solar can be used to run the cooling plant during off peak hours storing energy thermally in your house interior. Or potentially a thermal sink can be used to help moderate temperatures. Companies are working with paraffin beads embedded in drywall boards as well as coconut oil. Paraffin has about twice the latent heat of fusion as coconut oil, but I believe it is more expensive. I expect a container of coconut oil could be built into a forced air heating system moderating the house temperature when the heat pump is not running.

I believe an important goal would be to minimize peak energy loads even if the total energy required doesn't change. But on many days passive systems can minimize heating/cooling requirements which will reduce the total energy usage as well.

--

Rick C
Reply to

And insurance. Hail storms do a real number on roofs.

Reply to
krw

It was a joke Jim! I was was being facetious! The article is real, AFAIK

The part that reads like a spoof just shows how far we have gone.

"?We are very concerned about the effects on the poor of California. California has the highest poverty rate in the nation.? We asked the Senator how the people outside Silicon Valley and Beverly Hills are going to pay for the costs of upgrading their homes. The Senator spoke of the federal subsidies for this.

He then said, ?California has its own program and we plan on expanding that. The program, of course, will be income qualified and aimed toward identified minorities.? Expanding on that issue, he said anyone who can show they are Black, Hispanic, LGBTQ or disabled will get a special subsidy. We are particularly targeting our Native American friends. As long as you can prove you are at least 1/16 Native American we will provide a full subsidy for those individuals.?

We had a poster that needed acetone, I said run down to Lowes and get it. He said I live in California, it's not sold here. Argh! Advantage to other states, the motivated people will leave California. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

... and then you go on to describe a form of "better storage", namely, thermal mass.

It doesn't work in Australia. Our houses do not have much thermal mass like places where it gets really cold. The night-time energy requirement is not only thermal; we want lights, TV, and phones.

I think water is more likely to be useful. You can use hot water as well as using the heat from it. It's cheap and plentiful, has a very high latent heat (without fusion or vaporisation needed) and we know how to manage it (environmental, etc). Most US houses have a basement where you could easily situate a 10,000-40,000 litre tank. I could do that in my place, too. But it would only stabilise the house temperature, it wouldn't operate the lights.

The interesting thing though is that solar-boosted hot water systems here cost quite a bit more than solar-electric. Go figure.

Yes. LED lighting has been a big win - residential battery systems would be inconceivable without them. LCD televisions likewise.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

From Financial Times:

"Environment at risk from clean energy switch, says World Bank

Demand for raw materials used in renewable technologies could create environmental problems"

so much for the free lunch...

Reply to
Bill Martin

I'm currently at about $35/month for electric. No natural gas. If I annualize my firewood costs, it would add $50/month. I get about $20 off my electric bill by qualifying for the PG&E CARE program: You can see the change on my cost and usage spreadsheet graph starting Oct 2016: Therefore, my utility costs would be $5/month more expensive than yours were it not for the CARE discount.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Always a bad start.

As if that has ever happened.

Nope. The denialist "lets not do anything yet" crew is entirely ascendent.

The computer models do quite well. The certainly don't all predict higher r esults thn those predicted. The IPCC models fromm the 1990's actually turne d out to predict slightly lower warming that that observed.

Anthropogenic global warming is already delivering more extreme weather tha n was predicted. Letting it rip for 100 years does put you into more drasti c kinds of disaster, but

killed 6300 people, and was one of the most intense tropical cyclones on re cord. You won't have to waid 100 years for one that is worse if anthropogenic glo bal warming keeps going.

No idea. The full title was Anthropogenic Global Warming, and that is a bit of a mouthful, as well as labelling us as responsible for it.

Just enough to stay on schedule, give or take the side effects of stuff lik e El Nino and the Pacific and Atlantic Multidecal Oscillations.

Not entirely. Religion depends on irrational revelations, and anthropogenic global warming depends on scientific research published in peer-reviewed j ournals (none of which you seem to know anything about).

Those who have converted to the faith refuse to consider that

Far from it. There are a few optimists who have published alternative expla ntions in (not very good) peer-reviewed journals. Denialist web-sites make a lot of fuss about them, but reliably ignore the demolition papers that ha ve picked out the errors. Science just loves papers that aim to demolish cu rrent orthodoxy - and Lindzen did publish one that looked promising, but wh en the data to test it got collected it went down in flames too.

esn't

The skepticism is about the rate of climate change, not it's existence. The re's even a natural example

where the greenhouse gas seems to have been methane. " With available infor mation, estimates of the carbon addition range from about 2000 to 7000 giga tons" which is in the ball park of what we have been doing. The methane wou ld have turned into CO2 with about ten years, so the situations are paralle l, though we seem to be injecting CO2 even faster.

disdain.

Mainly because most of you have been suckered by denialist propaganda.

It is well-documented that millions have been spent in an effort to psread doubt about the reality of anthropogenic global warming. You don't have to be all that good at critical thinking to recognise denialist crap for what it is, but lots of people are fooled - John Larkin is a prime example.

You have yet to make a point that couldn't be knocked over with thirty seco nds of Googling. You may think that you have been making "scientific" claim s, but sound science depends on an awareness of what has been publsihed in the area, and I've not seen anything like that in your output.

It's not the lunatics who are problem, but the liars for hire, who shameles sly create doubt about the scientific evidence because the people who pay t hem want to keep on digging up fossil carbon and selling it as fuel.

for

Read what John von Neumann had to say about climate prediction - as opposed to weather prediction. The "butterfly effect" make it difficult to predict when it is going to rain, but the amount of precipitation is more tightly constrained by thermodynamics.

Farmers have been predicting climate accurately enough to make farming prac tical for some ten thousand years now. Global warming may well screw that u p.

And you've been fooled by them. Pity about that. You've been so efficiently suckered by the denialist propaganda machine that you reject the science. Sad.

does give you access to most of the science, but theres a lot of it. Denial ist web-sites have less content and can be more sucker-friendly.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

n the

_ must

Brexit was lunatic enough to give you other stuff to worry about. Of course you are silly enough to think that Brexit was a good thing.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

All the panels are designed to take a beating from hail. There aren't a lot of reports of any damage.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

n the

_ must

And it's not like we have an infinite supply of lithium either.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

One resource that we won't run out of is things to get hysterical about.

lunatic fringe electronics

We'd freeze to death in the summertime without our gas heat. It's on right now.

The house is well insulated, and it's tall and skinny (higher than wide!) and in contact with the neighbor's houses on both sides, so heat loss is minimal.

lunatic fringe electronics
[snip]

(;-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Really, we evolved in a world where fear was protective. It's much less dangerous now, so most people just find new things to be terrified about.

lunatic fringe electronics

It's always sensible to be nervous about stuff that your don't understand, and try to learn more about it. Only the pathologically over-confident adve rtise their misplaced confidence in their own expertise - as in John Larkin frequent links to denialist web-sites, or Jim's equally frequent links to TownHall, which offers the same kind of mislweading advice, but in politics , rhater than climate science.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to