cal lab in Silicon Valley area

We are looking for a new cal lab in the San Francisco area, someone who will ideally pick up test equipment once in a while, do traceable cals with data and certificates. Any suggestions?

Thanks

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

fwiw if a place says their specialty is "untracable cals" I'd probably avoid that place

Reply to
bitrex

Thank you for that helpful observation.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Test Equipment retailers sometimes double as cal houses. There must be something in SF.

Martin Riddle

Gosh, tough crowd

Reply to
bitrex

I mean, you might want that if all you needed was functional, more an alignment and setup, rather than a proper accurate calibration as such.

But if you're going to the trouble of sending it out (or having a guy in), it doesn't seem very economical to insist on anything shy of normal full service.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

As do equipment rental places.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

But if you're ISO certified/mil spec etc, you have to have traceable cal certs....

TTman

I don't think there is anything in SF. This is mostly a software town. People are shocked that we design and build electronics here.

I was asking if anyone here had an actual cal house that they have actually used.

lunatic fringe electronics

Did you find a cal lab yet? I just started working at a place in Santa Clara. They've been sending everything to the same cal lab for years: Trescal (formerly SE Labs). They do daily dropoff/pickup at our site.

Reply to
sea moss

It is getting VERY wet, with all of that dripping sarcasm.

Reply to
Robert Baer

You must be joking, many retailers know only sales.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I can easily find cal labs. I was wondering if anyone had personal experience, one that they like.

The one that we use now is mediocre.

lunatic fringe electronics

Do you need NIST accuracy? Why not do self-cal. Get a HP3458 off ebay to check your dvms DC voltage and current, and AC voltage and current. Get a resistance standard off ebay. Make a GPSDO for your frequency reference. Get lab standard weights to calibrate scales. Make a ice/boiling water standard for temperature.

When you have your own lab standards, you can check a piece of equipment on regular intervals without losing it during a trip to an external lab. This saves wear and tear, and possible handling damage due to accidents.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Our customers sometimes audit us, and would never accept ebay home-brew calibrations.

And we have better things to do with our time.

I don't know how we'd cal a Fluke DVM or a big oscilloscope. Cal labs have the hardware and software to do that.

lunatic fringe electronics

Very helpful reply. Thanks

Reply to
Steve Wilson