CAD: Altium Designer 18, please vote

Sorry, s.e.d denizens, but the .CAD group is dead. Altium users, please vote, severe AD 18 troubles, among the worst, various Properties Panel issues.

Has 116 votes, needs more to get Altium to fix it.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

My solution was to stay with Protel 99SE. Yes, I run into the issue with multi-channel designs now and then, but I know how to deal with it the hard, manual way. There are a few quirks in P99, but I KNOW what they are, and I know how to fix them when they do show up.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yes, my PCB engineer continued with Protel, even as I changed to the newer Altium versions. And year after year new and better versions came out and I appreciated the improvments. Then they went from version 17 to 18.

Such a shame, to have to agree with you.

Very nice dark gray look, very slick panels. But all kinds of menus changed, functionality moved, etc. And after learning our way around, we were faced with lots of things that didn't work. Often I had to close the project, and reopen in v17, just to make needed changes. I stuck with v18 through 3 revs, but the bugs didn't get fixed. Finally, I stay back in v17 all the time.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hmm, ver 19 is out now.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Bahahah, good one -- if it needed more votes, these wouldn't exist:

Bugcrunch exists as a lightning rod. No devs actually read it. At best, you can call service, submit a ticket, and reference a bug. That wastes someones' time, and puts your ticket in the system where someone has a chance of looking at it.

Better still, mention loudly on Twitter, or LinkedIn or wherever, that you're recommending next year for all of Harvard to move over to KiCAD. Alas, this isn't a means most of us mortals have access to...

Personally, I use 16; I've used 17 and it seems comparably quirky/buggy. Haven't used 18. Does seem like the bug rate is higher.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

I used Version 10 in an earlier company. We did not see many bugs

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

Hopefully it's a set of improvements over 18, rather than more wholesale not-quite-debugged changes.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win