Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

Hi everyone,

a solder paste I used to buy for years from Buerklin in Germany
now takes some declaration I must provide. They do have it stocked
etc., but they can't provide a template for me, I must figure it out
myself.

Has anyone done that? It is something I must declare ( Erklaerung in
German) without involving third parties, I just don't know what to
declare.... A template in German or in English would be great.

Thanks,

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff, TGI             http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/

Re: Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

If you quoted exactly what they said or provide a link, perhaps
someone could help.

Re: Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

Well if I knew more I would have said more. Had I had a link I would
just have done it myself. The lady said she needed an "Erklaeriung",
perhaps it was "Chemische Erklaerung" (no quite sure about that).

I'll try an awareness declaration tomoroow (i.e. I am aware what this
is and I am not putting it into mass production.... all 100 grams will
go for R&D), let's see how this works out.

Re: Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

Did you order per web and Buerklin called you back? Or did you order by
phone? In the latter case, order per web.

Bye
--
Uwe Bonnes                 snipped-for-privacy@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik  Schlossgartenstrasse 9  64289 Darmstadt
Re: Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

I wanted to order per web of course - have not ordered per phone for
what, well over 10 years - but where there was supposed to be a button
to put it in the cart was a text saying "call <number>". I called and
I was told that - and the lady said they had some stock (17 or
something)....

Dimiter

Re: Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

Ah, so it was verbal.

Re: Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

Do you need some special specification of paste or just 60/40: 63/37?

---

Re: Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

Nothing special, and I know where to buy alternatives etc.

It is just that I have been using this one for ages and I have
been happy with it (Buerklin order code 11 L 1322 ).

I am only asking if someone has had to sign a declaration in order
to get non RoHS compliant soldering paste from them, what this
declaration is is my only query.

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff, TGI             http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/

Re: Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

I have crossposted this in de.sci.electronics for you.

Regards,
Werner

Re: Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

Thanks, appreciated.

Re: Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

Weird, isn't the declaration supposed to be the other way around?
(eg; I'm selling you non-RoHS compliant material?)

Anyway, perhaps they are looking for what the use is. In the RoHS docs
I believe there is a business to business R&D exemption, as well as
other exemptions, like ITE equipment or transformsers with really
small wires.
Maybe that is what they are looking for.

Cheers

Re: Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

translation if needed.

I recently could not get my board tinning solution any more
(from a different source) that I had used for 20 years.
I did not yet try to force it, it's not too important for me.

Probably some terrorist craziness wrt chemicals gone wild.

regards, Gerhard

Re: Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

Thanks Gerhard,

my German is good enough (have lived in Cologne for a few years
and worked among Germans only so I got it improved - this was a
lifetime ago but it still works. I had some decent background
before I got there having had lessons for many years, my gran
being German must have influenced the language choice of my parents
when I was a toddler).

I'll put together a declaration and give it a try, obviously
this is something new they want (e.g. they have lost my account at
Buerklin with the last website overhaul), I rarely use them because
using Mouser, Farnell and a local supplier we have here are so
much easier... Digikey are also OK but one has to go through the
customs himself for them (Mouser do it for you) which costs a
whole day if you are lucky.

Dimiter (aka "der Didi" among Germans, albeit a lifetime ago :).

Re: Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

  To my knowledge, the only exemption to the RoHS lead free requisite is
for the US military and their contractors. (from the US perspective).
And only then when specifically defined in the mfg contract. All other
manufacturers must comply.

  One is also permitted to use 63/37 in performance of repair work, but
that is not an exemption.  Of course R & D projects can use it.

Re: Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

There are other exemptions, such as telecom and medical. I'm not sure about
aerospace.

Re: Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

Probably they want you to promise that you will dispose of waste
resposibly and comply with RoHS (perhaps by being exempt)

Re: Buying non-ROHS solder paste from Buerklin in Germany

Thanks, I had not thought of the disposal promise I may need to
give. Not sure I'll be able to collect all the analyzers from customers
(these things live well over 10 years) but I can pass a request to
customers and make the promise in good faith.

Dimiter

Site Timeline