business news

There are four items in the Business News Roundup of today's SF Chronicle.

MoviePass had to borrow money to pay its bills.

SunPower had a quarterly loss of $447 million on sales of around $500M.

Sanmina, a big electronics contract manufacturer, had a profit of a bit under 2% of sales. [1]

Rambus lost $15M in the latest quarter. Revenue was 56M, about half of expected.

[1] one of our designs was manufactured by Sanmina, but they were too expensive, so the licensee found someone cheaper.

lunatic fringe electronics

ASML made super profits:

<698839253X6D445TD

Some businesses are so giant, have such capital requirements and economy of scale, and positive feedbacks, they become natural monopolies. Intel maybe. Boeing and Airbus are the only big airliner sources left. Google.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yes, but I do follow the Chinese designing and building ever new airplanes. When that comes to market they can undercut prices for both Airbus and Boeing. They have their own aircraft carrier now too.

In fact I stopped reading US news, too many pictures and stories of a lying clueless twittering ape like person there.

Just for refreshment

sympathetic leader, Mr Xi. Of course one should be careful not to idolize him, like happend to Mao's followers.

and for general science

<698839253X6D445TD

From the monopoly POV that's a bit worrying, yes. But the fact that some of those great old names from the past no longer exist does not imply that they went bust or couldn't handle the competition; we need to keep in mind a great many of them were doing fine and just simply got taken over by bigger concerns.

Cursitor Doom