Building an AVR (or PIC) based Digital Video Recorder (DVR)

Hi,

I wonder if someone tell me how to digitize and save/record composite color video data (and optionally audio) from a low-cost camera into compact flash or SD memory without using a PC.

Following URL (

) points an interesting AVR based image/video capture circuit in which designer use an OV528
which is a JPEG compression chip designed for mobile phones and PDA's. My understanding is that it requires OVT's digital camera chips.

How ever I want to be able to digitize/capture composite video signal from any ordinary video source such as low-cost cameras, VCR, etc.

Do you know also any other circuit which can digitize composite video signals without needing a PC?

I know I can purchase COTS units like

But, I want to learn how to digitize and record composite video (as a hobby) with an AVR (and/or a PIC) microcontroller.

Thx

Miem

Reply to
Miem

have a look at Lewins file system

this may help you understand how to use a SD card

For the image compression

which will not require a licence, and can be bought in small quantities

You will need to convert your composite video into YUV type digital, there as some codecs on the NXP website, good luck on navigating that site

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

an

You can do a single frame capture if you have enough local memory (i.e. external memory bus). Otherwise, the AVR is not powerful enough for video capture. However, the AVR can coordinate with a proper video capture chip.

Reply to
linnix