Buck regulator chips

48V warts aren't at all common IME. Modems used to use 24VAC ones, but there aren't many of those left.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Sure the arcing is not so nice. We like these 15W Phihong wall warts with different blades for different countries.

I really wanted a 36V one, but I guess with DC switchers, people make what they need.

Reply to
George Herold

I've only seen modems use 9V AC, to get something like +/-12V I assume

I wonder how much hardware it takes to use USB-C, that's 20V,5A laptops are starting use it for charging

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Probably uncommon because < 42V is SELV. As for 36, who knows; overshadowed by 24, just not an important value?

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

POE :== Power On Ethernet

Thanks to POE (Power On Ethernet) expect to see more 48V used. It was always a telco standard, so there's good DC/DC converter support.

A combination of 24VAC for the isolation transformer, and a voltage-doubler rectifier (two Schottky diodes, two capacitors), makes circa 65VDC and that's in the acceptable input range for those telco-style DC/DC converters.

Reply to
whit3rd

You'd need a micro with in-built USB. the increased voltage, and re-purposed data lines need to be negotiated over a data channel.

Jasen Betts

+48VDC is a telecommunications industry standard voltage. There's tons of adapters all over the place. But the wart's often distal from the electric power outlet as shown below:

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz, KB7RPU
Reply to