buck converter for negative voltages

Suggestions for buck converter ICs for negative voltages? Controller ICs (external MOSFETs) would be nice.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I can't recall ever seeing a real negative-to-negative switcher! People sometimes hack a positive controller.

Hey, here's one:

 Click to see the full signature

Ajmal Godil suggests using a positive boost converter, with a level-shifting transistor feedback trick. Cute.

I think Ajmal is at Broadcom now.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yep, good find. Whew, that IC is a bit complicated. LTC also suggests the positive boost-converter hack, in design note DN1022.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

if you can figure out a way to flip the feedback or live with the output being relative to input, wouldn't any synchronous buck work?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The feedback is inverted in a *boost* converter, one just needs to translate it down to the negative rail.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

To make negative voltages at a watt or two, I often buy an isolated potted dc/dc converter.

They are also handy for making, say, +-5 from a +12 or +24 wart.

For + to -, a Cuk is nice.

What sorts of i/o voltages and power do you need?

 Click to see the full signature

afaict it is the same issue, you need to make the feedback relative to ground instead of to the negative rail

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Den onsdag den 1. februar 2017 kl. 23.38.27 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

if you have +5V this look interesting:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I recall doing push-pull once. I used this Jim Williams AN-70 app note.

The hard part was sourcing the transformer.

Reply to
Wanderer

LT3580 is a fun chip. It's a flyback that will accept either a negative or a positive feedback voltage.

 Click to see the full signature

Yes it will, nice. Too bad it's in such a small package.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Actually, besides level-shifting the feedback to the IC's FB pin, which is referenced to -Vin, it's necessary to invert the sign of the feedback. That becomes clear when comparing buck-converter duty-cycle formula Vout/Vin = D, with a boost converter, Vout/Vin = 1/(1-D). Also, it's obvious that when -Vout increases (more negative), FB must increase (more positive).

The inversion occurs in the level-shift transistor, Q1.

. gnd ----+---------+--------+--------, . ___|____ | _|_ | . | | _|_ --- R1 . | boost | /_\ | | . | | | | | . | SW |----+-#####--+---+------- -Vout . | | B | . | FB |----+----------C E--' . |________| | Q1 pnp . | R2 . | | . -Vin ---+---------+-----

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I sometimes put cap multipliers inside the feedback loop of a positive-supply switcher, with an RC highpass to make the loop stable (the way you do with a slow buffer or a big C load). (It helps the load regulation without wasting power on maintaining worst-case headroom all the time.) You can't do that when using a buck in inverting mode, for exactly this reason.

There are shunt references that work upside down, e.g. the LM385 and LM4041-ADJ, but no switchers that I know of.

Using one of those references instead of your PNP (with an RC highpass as above) would get rid of the V_BE error for fairly cheap.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs