BT139 & MOC3063

I have desined a circuit with a Triac (BT139) to swith an AC Motor that works with 220 VAC. (Go to this link to see my Circuit

) I have used a MOC3063 Optocoupler with Phase Detector capabilities. I seems work fine. but after some times (maybe some hourse) after running the circuit fails and the motor will vibrate and will not rotate. this problem will be solve if i change the MOC3063 with new one. but the same will happen with the second ic. my question is , should i select another range of resistors with the MOC3063 ?

Reply to
Omid

R1 is too large. According to the datasheet, the LED current (I_FT) needs to be at least 5mA for reliable triggering. Try R1 = 680 ohms.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Another thing: that snubber capacitor should be 10nF.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

How were you able to see Omid's drawing? I get an error, "Hotlinking is not allowed for our FREE Accounts"

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

"Omid" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

You should *not* post the same problem at different newsgroups separately (called multiposting). If you want to post the same question in several newsgroups address them all at once (called crossposting).

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

[snip]

I just clicked on the link

Andrew Holme

We have detected a hotlinking error. Hotlinking is when you link to images or NON html files on 741.com from another host. Hotlinking is not allowed for our FREE Accounts. Hotlinking is allowed for our paid accounts. Your account can be upgraded in the user section when you have logged in.

Reply to
Eeyore

In message , dated Sun, 10 Sep

2006, Andrew Holme writes

What happens to the transistor in the optocoupler when the triac turns off?

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

In message , dated Sun, 10 Sep

2006, Eeyore writes

It may well not be allowed, but for some of us it works. I'll put it on ABSE.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

"Eeyore" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com...

Works OK now.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

John Woodgate wrote: (snip)

There is no transistor. See:

John Popelish

In message , dated Sun,

10 Sep 2006, John P>(snip)

PHOTOtransistor, then. Gordon Bennet!

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

Right-Click on the link then select "Save Target as..." , and then save the picture on your harddrive. Or you can copy the link and paste on a new browser window , in the addressbar.

Reply to
Omid

OK , but i don't think it damages my IC with 1K8 . doese lower current damage the LED on the IC?

Reply to
Omid

)

I have used a MOC3063 Optocoupler with Phase Detector capabilities. I seems work fine. but after some times (maybe some hourse) after running

the circuit fails and the motor will vibrate and will not rotate. this problem will be solve if i change the MOC3063 with new one. but the same will happen with the second ic. my question is , should i select another range of resistors with the MOC3063 ?

Reply to
Omid

Does the motor vibrate all the time, or only when you push the button? Did you try reducing R1 to 680 ohms?

Reply to
Andrew Holme

No , it vibrates only when i push the button . i replaced the motor with a 220V Lamp. when i pushed the button it turned On & Off periodically with a frequency that i could see , such as 10 times each second. but with a new ic , at the first hours , it turns on correctly.

Yes ,no changes.

Reply to
Omid

Did you try a 10nF snubber capacitor?

You could try it without the snubber network.

What is the power rating of the motor?

Reply to
Andrew Holme

"John Woodgate" = oversnipping MANIAC !!!

**
** A "light activated, silicon bilateral switch " is not a f****ng transistor !!

The one in the MOC3063 has a 600 volt "off state" rating.

Don't know anything about triac drivers - WOODDUCK ??

Reply to
Phil Allison

That's an awful lot of trouble to go through to get this:

A Hotlinking Error Has Occured!

We have detected a hotlinking error. Hotlinking is when you link to images or NON html files on 741.com from another host. Hotlinking is not allowed for our FREE Accounts. Hotlinking is allowed for our paid accounts. Your account can be upgraded in the user section when you have logged in.

--
 Perhaps you might want to upgrade?
Reply to