Boss DR-55 Repair

I'm trying to repair this vintage programmable analog drum machine on my bench. It was water damaged, and it looks like it's been sitting in a basement and hasn't worked in a very long time. I've cleaned up the PCB and underneath the rust residue it looks OK, and I've replaced all the electrolytic capacitors and removed any signs of corrosion. It's showing signs of life now, and occasionally produces sounds that seem vaguely correct, but still isn't working properly.

Here's the schematic:

It's a pretty crude machine by today's standards - there's no microprocessor. Just what seems to be a CMOS static RAM chip that the patterns are manually bitbanged into by the user in "write" mode, and then clocked out of in "play" mode. The logic outputs of the RAM IC then trigger four different analog sound generation circuits on the right...for example the bass drum seems to be based on a transistor phase-shift oscillator, etc.

The first big problem I see with my scope is that the there's no clock coming out of the clock generator when I try to set the machine to "play" - tracing backwards it looks like the output at pin 3 of the flip flop made up of two sections of a 4011 (what's the deal with those symbols?) is oscillating at about 4 Hz, and the nominally active-low inputs of the flip flop are totally unresponsive to button presses or manually pulling them low with a jumper.

On the scope the oscillation looks like a slow "inverse" exponential decay from high to low, followed by the output of the flip flop slamming low for a little bit and then rapidly coming back up and repeating. It looks like the on-off duty cycle is about 90%.

Any idea what could be going on here?

Reply to
bitrex

Did you notice that C42 (in the clock circuit) is non-polarized?

A 4011 is nominally four NAND gates - inputs A and B, output not (A and B). not (A and B) = (not A) or (not B). I don't know why they drew three of them as invert-then-OR and one of them as NAND, but it's logically valid.

The section labeled F/F seems to handle the "start" and "stop" front- panel buttons as well as the foot switch. I would expect pin 3 of the

4011 to go high and low as those controls are operated, but not to oscillate like that.

Part of the feedback for the flip-flop goes through the foot-pedal jack socket. Are you sure that socket is OK and not crudded up? Also, are the "start" and "stop" switches really open circuit when not pushed?

If you completely pull the 4011 out of the circuit, apply an 0V/5V square wave clock to where pin 11 was, and the inverse of that clock to where pin 10 was, I think it should make a lot more noise than it does now.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

They're the standard symbol for logic gates.

15b8b4e6d3a.jpg

Pin 3 (the output) is connected via R95 to two switches. How sure are you that these switches are ok? Could they be corroded inside?

Lift one leg of R95, does the output signal shown on your 'scope at 4011 pin 3 improve?

Swap out the 4011?

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

sounds like the "clock" circuit may be working correctly, but the start/stop flip flop is not.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

er.

The output of F/F pin3 should be static, either 0 or 1. Pressing START will set pin 3 to HIGH and enable the oscillator IC3 pin 11 D18/R78/C41 ensures the flip flop powers up in the STOP state. For IC3/3 to oscillate at a few Hz, something around there is faulty/broken.

TTman

I found that _both_ the pushbuttons were faulty and the IC had failed. How annoying.

Reply to
bitrex

Hey, at least you found it. Thanks for posting what the result was.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds