Boost Converter Tutorial?

In the past I have designed boost converters in burst mode, with peak current control, but never with a PWM-controlled loop.

Outputs: +5 @ 25mA, -5V @ 20mA

Can someone point me to a tutorial?

Thanks!

[Don't point me to an off-the-shelf part. This has to go into a _custom_ chip... just a little thing... 1mm x 25mm :-] ...Jim Thompson

Hmm, an inch long and a millimeter wide--it's for a robotic cockroach, right?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nope. It goes in something that virtually every person owns :-) ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Twenty questions!

Is it for a tracking chip that goes into people's necks?

Reply to
brent

So you decided to take someone's advice about what to do with your design?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

TI app notes?

The 3525 has been around for a long time... Maybe DN-62 has what your looking for.

cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

What is the power source? I don't think they make batteries that thin.

Reply to
linnix

This is but a small portion of the whole chip. As I said, I have no experience (*) with PWM'd boost converters, though lots of those with low output current, running burst mode (they have little or no stability issues).

As Larkin would snark, If you've got something technical to say, then say it, otherwise STFU :-{)

(*) Unlike some posters lurking here, I readily admit areas of which I have little or no expertise. Then I listen, learn and ultimately become the expert ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Thanks, Martin! I owe you another sip or two or...

Though probably at some other location than Long Island. I sent those horse's-asses in Huntington (and only you will appreciate why I say that) an E-mail, "As I sit here in Rochester, in my _office_ (with a _door_), looking out my _window_ at the melting snow, with a _door-pass_ badge hanging around my neck, and with my laptop sitting there connected to the customer's _network_ and the _Internet_, I was thinking of you fellows at @#$%... >:-} "

I doubt they'll invite me back ;-) Though you never know... I was the only one who could convey to Cadence what was needed with the "w-real" modeling. ...Jim Thompson

2.3-5V Battery. ...Jim Thompson

That'll be a watch then....

Reply to
TTman

I was going to say a tooth brush but, I've been in parts where that maybe not be true :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

No. Think teenagers... what are they never seen without ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Actually, I'd go looking at off-the-shelf parts to snag ideas from.

Efficiency? Regulation bounds? % of total product cost that'll be taken up by the converter?

Unless the above answers are "low, loose, and low", I think your biggest challenge won't be the silicon, it'll be finding small, economical & high performance inductors, designing the thing to take advantage of them, and dancing around the inevitable unstable zero in the boost converter.

Are you planning on paying for the 0.3V drop of a Schottkey on each supply, or the time & trouble to drive the extra two switches & make it synchronous?

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Decent clothes ? lol U seen the ones in the UK where their pants crotch comes down to their knees .... PMSL

Doh that dreaded thumb rattling Mobile :( Got any good designs for a blocker ????

Reply to
TTman

He's a real tease.. probably got all that sorted already....

Reply to
TTman

Well, I would hope so. But you could do everything he's asking for with a couple of charge pumps followed by linear regulators, if you didn't mind the inefficiency.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

No blocker. But I understand that new movie theater installs in the US are shielded sufficiently that cell phones don't function in the auditorium portion of the facility. I know that at least one theater I frequent requests that doctors leave their cell phones and pagers at the front desk if they're "on-call"... an usher will come and notify them as needed. ...Jim Thompson

As high as practical.

Loose. Lots of compensating innards for power supply variation.

They've already committed to external switch(es)

The inductor _is_ a problem. They're already at their height limit and their present implementation (at lower current) is just pushing into saturation :-(

That's up for debate.

But this client is no onesy-twosy outfit... they just shipped their BILLIONETH chip! ...Jim Thompson

Try 32 Ohm "bumps" and you see another aspect of the problem :-( ...Jim Thompson