Bluetooth USB adaptor modification

adaptor

Forget it. These adapters are fairly dumb devices and require a lot of the protocol handling to be done by the host processor, which is no problem for a loaded Pentium but it is an impossible task for a small MCU. Better use smart module from, for instance, Ezurio

or the likes. They have a risc processor on board which handles all the BT protocol stuff and provide a simple serial interface to your MCU. You can configure these modules through modem-style AT commands.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Dear all,

I want to built a serial communication from MCU to Pocket PC. As Bluetooth development module is quite expensive, I want to buy a Bluetooth USB adaptor (~HK$100) to modify it. Anybody try it before? Please advice

Thank you

Reply to
samynonsense

Thank you for your advice

Reply to
samynonsense

Any idea how expensive these modules are? Their website does not list a single US distributor.

-M Noone

Reply to
Michael J. Noone

The Ezurio Blu2i modules are available theough Farnell. I use them in an OEM product (simply because I did not want to have the issues of certification etc), but I don't buy at Farnell prices ;)

I believe they are about =A375 in small quantities from retail distribution, maybe less. If you can't find them in US distribution, it could be because it's a european company (Ezurio is a management buyout of TDK Europe). Farnell sells a little devkit unit for the beast as well (a little expensive, although necessary as the module sits on a very fine pitch connector that I have to hoard to make sure I'll hit production).

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

That's a little too spendy for my blood. If you go to sparkfun.com and do a search for RF-BT-SMD - you'll find a serial bluetooth module for $50 in single quantities.

-M Noone

Reply to
Michael J. Noone

I pay EUR 42.50/unit in qty's of 100. That equals $53.13. If there's no US distributor, you could try and contact them directly. I found Ezurio quite responsive, I even had a few e-mail exchanges with the developer of the firmware.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

This connector can be found at Digikey, partno H2758-ND. Over 6k in stock.... I always buy them there, since the European distributors of Hirose do not stock them or have huge lead times.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

That is indeed cheap. I just checked their 100 up price: $35.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang