Bluetooth or WiFi DS cards for offline use?

Hi Folks,

Hope you all have a great Christmas day. And easy on the eggnog there :-)

In 2013 I'll have to document lots of experimental setups with photos and movie clips that'll go back and forth between remote team members. The usual cable-download into the computer or removal of the SD card is a bit of a hassle for that. Since cameras are notoriously stone-age when it comes to RF, is there a Bluetooth SD card or something that fits and works well?

All I found was some with Bluetooth SD cards that are longer than standard which of course is a non-starter in a camera. Then WiFi ones that require a cumbersome path through some proprietary server (I really don't like that), such as this:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Sorry, I meant "SD cards" in the subject line.

Reply to
Joerg

Google "ez Share Wi-Fi Wireless SDHC"

I wonder how these work.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Those appear to be the same thing as Eye-Fi, the kind that must be registered to a proprietary web server :-(

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The sites I have read through, states that any WiFi device can access these cards directly.

I look more closely to check.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

The web server is the card itself.

Now, I have to get one for sure.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Are you sure? Got a link with some details? I have read a lot of grief about this requirement of Eye-Fi to connect to a proprietary web server (which seems to fail at times):

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Gawwwwd! You are sure lazy! Can't you use something like DropBox or an FTP setup... or mind reading ?>:-}

I've been recently using ExpanDrive, which I find really convenient. ...Jim Thompson

Yes, any thing with "Eye-Fi" is proprietary.

But, these are ez-Share WiFi.

About 2/3s the way down the ebay page shows how to connect the ez-Share card to your WiFi enabled device.

I just ordered one, but I won't get it for 3 weeks.

I'll post what I find then.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

I bought one of these 4GB, but not the X2 version, at an estate sale for a quarter. It was corrupted, so I followed the instructions to delete the contents and reload the software. Problem was that the super-special card reader is required to program it. Since that was missing, I got to the installation step and got caught in the doesn't have software so you can't load software loop. My SDHC card reader can read/write the flash, just not reload the the app. Lots of google hits on the problem. I tried extracting the software from the installer. I even substituted the VCC for more current and diddled with the status lines without success.

Customer service was sympathetic, but had no way to supply or reload the control app without running the installer. They claim that you should be able to use most any SDHC card reader... emphasis on "most". I only had half-a-dozen to try. They even offered to send me the special card reader. I declined as it wasn't fair to hold them accountable for my wasted quarter ;-) I don't have a camera compatible with SDHC anyway.

Bottom line, after much research, I had myself convinced that with the firmware loaded, you could use the usb and their app to configure the card to talk to any wifi connection. After that, it should be automagic in the camera.

I thought I was gonna use it for remote data logging.

Reply to
mike

On a sunny day (Tue, 25 Dec 2012 16:45:06 -0700) it happened hamilton wrote in :

It is a bit expensive I thing, that price buys me 8 8GB cards. Taking the card out of my camera and plugging it in the PC only takes 5 seconds. Difference 59 $ for 5 seconds work.

BTW I have a lot of stuff ordered from ebay as of November 20 and November 21, and much of it has not arrived yet.. China mainland AND HongKong.

Christmas delays?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

seconds.

I am more interested in the WiFi part.

If that can be made to work in an embedded system, that would be lots more fun.

and much of it has not arrived yet..

I would guess its DHS trying to justify their existance.

But, that would make me cynical.

I would also guess, everyone wants cheap stuff before the cliff gets here.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Quote "Safari/IE/OPERA/Chrome/UC". I hope you aren't using Firefox like I do :-)

Then quote "Searching Hotspot name ezShare" ... so, appears to be the same sort of proprietary stuff under a different name.

Anyhow, good luck, and let us know.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I have Dropbox. And how do you propose the pictures and movie clips land there in almost realtime?

It's got nothing to do with lazy but with fast sharing, in cases where a web cam simply can't cut it. Like microscope pics which I am going to have to share a lot.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's exactly the kind of unneseccary fiddling and twiddling I want to avoid. Why could they not simply design it without this registration nonsense and in a way that it simply works?

I think there's better solutions for that. Check out Digi. Ok, not for a quarter :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It has been sites like this that make me think differently:

"An ezShare device, ?in the shape of an SD card?, allows camera owners to instantly share their images without needing the internet. "

and

"Up to three users can simultaneously connect to the WiFi network created by ezShare for simultaneous sharing and downloading of images."

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Dec 2012 10:24:16 -0700) it happened hamilton wrote in :

Yes, it is likely just a web server. The created hotspot has a name, that is normal, hopefully it has a password too :-) Should also work with firefox, or any browser.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I've done design reviews via Skype, showing schematics and simulations. ...Jim Thompson

-as-wi-fi-devices/

If it's the same as the PQI Air Card (Wifi w/ micro SD slot), it's a web se rver with fixed unchangeable IP 192.168.1.1. However, it makes little sens e for the camera to be a web server. I would wait for someone else's produ ct as a generic WiFi client.

Reply to
linnix

server with fixed unchangeable IP 192.168.1.1. However, it makes little sense for the camera to be a web server. I would wait for someone else's product as a generic WiFi client.

Ii think the idea was to not need special software on the tablet/phone/PC to get the data from the camera/card.

I'll have to look at the POI next.

hamilton